Author Topic: Oboe - sharp note cutoff  (Read 3462 times)

Jamie Kowalski

Oboe - sharp note cutoff
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
I'm writing a passage for oboe wherein a long note has a big crescendo, and is cut off very sharply -- think of it as a backwards accented attack. I'm looking for a clear, brief instruction for the player. I imagine it being executed by suddenly closing the tongue onto the reed, but I'm not sure if that is too specific an instruction, or if that is a known technique for this sort of effect already.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:11:27 AM by Jamie Kowalski »

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Oboe - sharp not cutoff
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:08:25 AM »
Funny, I just wrote a passage  for oboe that I intend to be played that way. What I did was tie a long crescendoed note to an 1/8th, with an accent and ff on the 1/8th note. Finale at least plays it back as I intended.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jamie Kowalski

Re: Oboe - sharp note cutoff
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »
That's how I have the notation, except I tied it to an accented grace note. I may just leave that and add a text direction.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
text indication for that would be "secco". write a very specific rhythm to indicate where the cut-off should be.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jamie Kowalski

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
That will do the trick. Thanks for the idea.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »
the only problem with using a tied-to-an-accented-note notation, is that it DOES mean that the player should accent the release (FABULOUS effect when it's a whole string section playing in their extreme high register).

If you want a sharp cut-off, without an actual accent, then "secco" is probably your best bet.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jamie Kowalski

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »
I think you're right about that. What I'm really looking for is the sound you get when you plunk a note on the piano, record it, then flip the recording backwards to listen to it. And yes, I am aware that that sounds ridiculously specific.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »
Maybe I can help ..

Please post the measure .... I'll take a look.

Mark (oboist)

Pluck a note!?! It sounds like a tonguing technique...........  of some kind.

The sound goes one way ... into the reed.   So ............. ?

You have my curiosity and full attention.  :o

I mean you could suck on the reed backwards ... however, I have only done that with the reed out of the oboe and the sound it makes sounds like a KISS. Instruments do have limitations .....

Jamie Kowalski

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 08:43:55 AM »
Maybe I can help ..

Please post the measure .... I'll take a look.

Mark (oboist)
Hi Mark. Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate any opinions at all, and especially from an oboist here. I can't post the measure until tonight since I'm away from the studio. But it's essentially just a whole note with a crescendo on it. Whatever else the measure includes is what is being debated.

Pluck a note!?! It sounds like a tonguing technique...........  of some kind.
I mean you could suck on the reed backwards ... however, I have only done that with the reed out of the oboe and the sound it makes sounds like a KISS. Instruments do have limitations .

Ack! No, not at all what I meant! My description was just to give an idea of what the volume envelope is shaped like. It was an obscure way to put it, but those who have played around with recorded sound in a studio are likely familiar with the flipped piano effect.

I don't expect anything weird with the reed. I just want a dynamic swell that ends more abruptly than normal. If you were listening to a CD of an oboe player performing a crescendo, and the power went out on your player just as he reached the peak... that's what I want. Put another way, if the natural sound of a held note is "Haaah," I'm looking for "Haaat."

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »
So ... secco as per Michel fits  "(of notes or passages in a musical score) played and released abruptly and without resonance."

No vibrato? .....

I would look towards the conductor to indicate that cutoff. 

I just learned something new!  :)

Mark

winknotes

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »
It's a common way of articulating short notes in a jazz ensemble or big band.  Stopping the sound with the tongue or maybe a tongued release.  It's notated with a hat top accent but it's an understood stylistic approach to playing. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)