Author Topic: When to use 8va  (Read 20163 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: When to use 8va
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »
which piece for double bass and piano?
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Mephisto

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
The one that Ron posted with his original question about the 8va's.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »
I don't hear Dukas at all in Ron's piece.
other than some rhythms having distant similarities, the melodic contours aren't the same, the intervalic processes are different, the harmony is completely unrelated.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
Hi Michel,
I think he is referring to measure 44 on....The trouble is I abandoned this work a long time ago, but, I do know that before I dropped it in the circular file that I had an extensive section playing with the Dukas theme. As I said earlier, it's an "approximation."
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Mephisto

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »
Yes, I was referring to the measure 44 and so on as i stated.

The question is: the 44 measure theme and so on...Paul Dukas The Sorcerer' s Apprentice?  :)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 10:19:44 AM »
I guess i didn't get far enough into the piece.

*correction

after looking at it again, I remember now the quote. (the "pianist scratches head" comment is great)
I thought it was very funny :)

I'm afraid I don't really understand what Mephisto's  comment related to.
There's a quote from Dukas. And?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:23:40 AM by Michel.R.E »

Mephisto

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »
Hey all, am a new member so i don't want to make my first post/impression sound "wrong", ill post about me later in the introduction section when i have time (have a lot of things happening at the moment). So...this is nothing related to the topic, its more of a notice/question from looking through the double bass - piano piece score. The question is: the 44 measure theme and so on...Paul Dukas The Sorcerer' s Apprentice? :) I mean i never saw the original score of the piece and don't know if the exact same notes are used in the composition I mentioned, but to me it sounds relatively the same. Like i said just a friendly notice, no offence intended. :)

I was just quoting a sentence from my original comment to point out that i did refer to measure 44 when i was asking about the theme Ron wrote in the double bass part.
And yeah i totally forgot about the "pianist scratches head" comment. XD i loled   ;D

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »
you mean you were wondering whether Ron quoted the Dukas piece on purpose or not?

Mephisto

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 05:42:08 PM »
No, it doesn't matter if he did quote Dukas or not or if it was on purpose or not. It was just a notice and I was just asking if my notice was correct. Nothing else, no harm intended, didn't want to start an argument, had nothing bad on my mind and didn't want to insult anyone.

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »
No one was upset or insulted. It was a fair question to ask, and, as I said, I did go on and expand on it later in the piece--which was never finished. I just thought it mildly amusing to have a bass player go off and start playing something else (recognizable) in the middle of a work. The entire piece never worked in my mind and it joined the huge pile of incomplete ideas.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Mephisto

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that u never finished the piece. Maybe, and just maybe when you have time and of course if you feel like it, you could try and recycle the piece and do the same thing to the theme that Mahler did to the Frere Jacques theme in his "Titan" symphony 3rd movement from the very start. Just an idea. ;D

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
My problem with composing these days is that I have no goals. As a result I rarely finish anything. But, I do think that I have worked on some pretty interesting ideas.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Mephisto

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »
Going to look it up. I went through most of the Junior Section (at least i think) and started with the Senior Section today or so. Anyway, looking forward to hear your pieces. ;D