Author Topic: Transitions  (Read 2680 times)

RichardMc

Transitions
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
I find myself maybe sketching contrasting sections and then creating a transition between them. Is this out of the ordinary to create the transition after the fact.

suspenlute

Re: Transitions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
It's not really "out of the ordinary" to spend more time on the structurally important parts of a movement and have them completed before deciding exactly what kind of transitional material is going to splice them together.

...but even if it were somehow unusual - provided the sound you're looking for comes across, who cares? :P

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »
considering a transition is generally based upon pre-established material (ie: a theme you've already presented), it seems normal that at least a part of an exposition be presented first. I see nothing unusual about it.

if you don't know where and whence you are going, then it becomes difficult to transition, doesn't it.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RichardMc

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:20:39 AM »
Thanks. It is always helpful to hear from more experienced composers. When I listen to the works that are posted in this forum many of them sound seamless. It's inspiring and challenging. I am sorry I don't feel qualified to offer any comment on the works but I do listen.

jmsuijkerbuijk

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:01:38 AM »
The problem you're facing only arises when you think in blocks that somehow need to be connected. Think of a line, instead. For your own convenience you can dissect that line into blocks (exposition, development, reprise, etc.), but you need to keep the feel of a line. The seamless flow, in that case, comes naturally.
If you think in blocks, you will always hear blocks, no matter how ingenious your transitions are.

RichardMc

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 04:06:49 AM »
I am thinking in blocks that have to be connected though I am looking to create that leading line that flows through the entire piece.

Jamie Kowalski

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:49:03 AM »
I tend to write big chunks of music in more or less the order they will fall in, leaving holes where connecting material will go. As I'm developing the piece, I often dump the latest version to mp3 (holes and all) and listen to it many times. Eventually, connecting material just suggests itself to me as my mind begins to fill in the moments of silence. I try not to worry if a hole is left in place for a long time. Eventually, it works itself out.

This is also a nice way to work because sometimes I realize that the hole needs to be filled with a larger more developed section, or a variation of another existing section from elsewhere in the piece.