Author Topic: Hello ...  (Read 1897 times)

Abel Project

Hello ...
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
Hey, my name is Thomas, Iīm glad I landed here. Let me tell you something about myself.
 I started to play guitar when I was seventeen or something. I went to Musicians Institute in L.A. after I had finished school, which helped me a lot, not only concerning my technique but also they gave me a little background in music theory and finally managed to teach me how to read and write notes. I went to university, had music as a sort of "side subject", no big thing, just a little theory and some guitar/vocal lessons.  I only had one course in harmonization but that helped me , too. I got interested in classical music and started composing, hardly knowing or not wanting to know about  basic rules. I gradually lost interest and turned to other things. Now that was almost 15 years ago.
Two years ago I became interested in writing songs again, and wrote a couple of christian, kind of worship songs. I bought the Presonus audio box and started fiddling around, worked with muse score and was quite happy with that. Then I remembered my old classical compositions, dug out my old QY20 sequencer and put them into my DAW. Uploaded the best one on soundcloud but wasnīt happy with the sound.
Now, in my life, I lack two things: Money and time (just bought a house, have two kids and third one is coming soon). But I recently found a bargain offer about Finale 2012, which includes some Garritan sounds. I bought it but Iīm still not used to it, I just didnīt have the time to work myself through the basic functions, but it was enough to transfer my favourite composition to Garritan sounds.
Garritan isnīt perfect but who has the money to buy the Vienna symphonic library?? You can listen to that composition on soundcloud, itīs called Canon in F (although it isnīt a canon but it resembles Pachelbels Canon in D because of the ostinato in the cello). I hope I got rid of all the octave and quint parallels (is that how you say this in english?) but I think my knowledge concerning harmony and composition is so basic that it makes it difficult for me to compose more efficiently.
So hereīs the link: https://soundcloud.com/tho-v-lker/canon-in-f-string-quartet
Iīm still searching for a wonderous machine that can transfer all those wonderful melodies, sonatas, choir parts and so on that swirl around my brain  directly into sheet music- it would save me 99% of all the time that I need now to write and re-write and arrange, mix (donīt know much about that either) and...and...it.
So basically I am here to deepen my knowledge, Iīd like to have feedback on my works and Iīm curious about the things other composers do.
Thanks and greetings from Germany!!!
Thomas
Laptop dual core 1.6 GHZ
Win 7 x64
Finale 2012
Presonus studio one artist

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Hello ...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »
Welcome Abel,

Pretty Canon .................. very warm and sweet and yes it reminds me of Pachelbels Canon in D.

Did you follow the same format/structure/harmonic progression etc............

We also like to see the score too ... so when you have a chance please post it in the completed works forum.

Mark

Periwink

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »
Another guitarist, welcome Thomas! In Dutch and German quint is the name for the perfect fifth. ;)  I liked the string quartet.
Honesty doesn't serve the self; it serves the truth.
-Peter Ralston

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »
Hi Thomas. Welcome aboard!

jonservative

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
Hi.  If you learn any good guitar sounds outside of Garritan that also will work with Finale, please let me know.

Abel Project

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 12:25:49 AM »
Dear forum members.
thank you for the hearty welcome. Iīve spent some time reading a few posts and I really can say that this is a nice place to hang out with a lot of things to learn and a very friendly atmosphere.
I will upload my canon to the   Completed Works: Junior    topic.
Thanks a lot for the nice comments on it!!

Best wishes
Thomas
Laptop dual core 1.6 GHZ
Win 7 x64
Finale 2012
Presonus studio one artist

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
welcome aboard :)

reha

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
Hi Thomas. Welcome to the group.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

BillChandler

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:49:32 AM by M.Wiktor »