Author Topic: Reviving a sketch  (Read 1740 times)

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
Reviving a sketch
« on: January 17, 2013, 06:13:36 AM »
I'm currently developing an idea I sketched out a few years ago that I have always disliked. I knew that somewhere in it was a good idea, but listening to it, I've always found it somewhat annoying. It turns out that a rather simple fix has completely turned it around. All I did was change the overall dynamic from forte to piano, and suddenly everything started to work beautifully. New ideas began to flow.

Anyone else ever find that a tiny change could save your idea from the trash heap?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Reviving a sketch
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »
Anyone else ever find that a tiny change could save your idea from the trash heap?

Nope.

Somehow, it's never happened for me.
If its in the trash, it's in the trash.

I've revived old works and given them new life through major modification, but i don't think that's what you're referring to.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
Usually it does take heavy modification for me to like something I previously hated. As it happens, I am actually doing heavy modifications in this case too, but it was dropping the dynamics (as well as a more sensible instrumentation) that made me even consider doing that. It went from ponderous and melodramatic to hypnotic and introspective.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »

Yup. I do this occasionally. With my stuff, it's not dynamics--it's mostly one or two notes, or a fresher harmonization. Sometimes it's changing the meter (like 4/4 to 3/4), or transposing a phrase so that I "hear" it with a different instrument.

I have revived several works--pieces I wrote in the early 1970s, put away in a storage box (literally) for some 30 years, and brought them out again in the mid-2000s, entered them into Finale, and reworked them.

Art