Author Topic: Oboe_Concerto_01  (Read 634 times)

RJB54

Oboe_Concerto_01
« on: April 20, 2021, 05:19:05 AM »
I would like to present my Oboe Concerto #1.

Score = https://app.box.com/s/t8w5ogiz54rllmcd1aoo4ivwji7ldj95
Audio-Mvt I   (6'05") = https://app.box.com/s/eqvjq7k8k8x3ssupwd61u965b1fckg98
Audio-Mvt II  (2'38") = https://app.box.com/s/8v6zf9db24sa0ub8pl46w7n8n7k7djvh
Audio-Mvt III (6'26") = https://app.box.com/s/m5bs10pdabh9ojshlfd92uqfsscwg7g0

Movement I is a fairly strait-forward sonata form. Movement II is free form. Movement III has an arch form: A-B-C-B1-A1.

I've had the opening motive of Movement I hanging around for several years. Occasionally, I would try and do something with it without any success. I guess the time was right because when I tried this time the whole piece come out quite quickly.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
Re: Oboe_Concerto_01
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:54:25 PM »
Ah, Robert, that's wonderful.

I love the rhythmic ... "eccentricities"? The odd beats kept things unpredictable.

The third movement is my favorite. It's unambiguously lyrical.

Your harmonies are so smooth and engaging, like a silken sheet or gentle waves.

However, I wished the strings were louder in relation to the oboe, especially when the latter was not playing. I wanted to hear more of the detail that I could see in the score, as well as hear the strings break out more when they were not playing accompaniment.

Was what I perceive as imbalance deliberate, or just a shortcoming of the audio?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 02:49:22 PM »
Jerry, thank you very much.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't do any sound processing. I just set up the VST Banks and Effects in Finale and hope for the best.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 04:48:41 PM »
Jerry, thank you very much.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't do any sound processing. I just set up the VST Banks and Effects in Finale and hope for the best.
Robert,

I wouldn't think that a single oboe would be able to overpower a string section, assuming that they're set to the same dynamic.

It sounds to me as if the default parameters for the instruments are out of balance.

I hope you don't mind: just for fun, I took the liberty of copying bars 111-112 of the third movement and recorded them twice on one track using Note Performer.

The first has the parts as you assigned them, all at forte. The second has the strings reduced to mezzo piano, which has the balance closer to your sound, but with the strings still louder that that.

Of course, I'm assuming that Note Performer is fairly accurate at the relative dynamics of the instruments.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:06:10 PM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 10:25:31 AM »
Bravo!  I greatly enjoyed your new oboe concerto. Fine melodic material for the oboe, supported by nicely modern (but not forbidding or difficult) harmonies.

Jay

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 03:32:36 PM »
I keep getting impressed by your brew of serialism! I enjoyed listening to this work, though the 1st movement was somewhat less accessible for me than the others.

Thanks to Jer for the clip with NP3. By the way, the 3rd is my favorite mvt, too.

Reha

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 06:34:05 AM »
Robert, this a very nice work that falls easily into the fingers.  The range is quite good with a nice variety for the player. 

I concur with others that my favorite is the third movement, which in my mind, has a nice rhythmic pulse.

Interestingly enough, the 3rd movement reminds minds me of the Vaugh Williams Oboe Concerto first movement.  Although, the melodies are quite different ... there is a playfulness and rhythmic melodic quality - ethos -  that reminds me of the character of that movement.

Thanks for posting.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 05:14:40 AM »
Thank you all.

Jerry, its interesting how the different sound libraries come across differently. I know that there are libraries better than GPO6 out there but time and money, you know...

Mark, I'm not familiar with the Williams piece. I'll have to find it on YouTube.

Mark and Reha, I think the 3rd mvt is my favorite as well, though I do like the soundscape of the 2nd mvt quite a bit. As I said above, the opening of the 1st mvt has been knocking around for quite some time, but the piece really didn't start to come together until I stopped trying to work out from that snippet, and instead worked out the 1st (A) section of what became the 3rd movement. Once I had that section in hand the rest started flowing, including the 1st mvt. This means that the creative 'heart' of the piece is the 3rd mvt.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 07:31:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCJu4eNdMxY

Vaugh Williams - 1st movement.

It begins very lyrical ... then the wonderful rhythms and melodic line begin.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 05:42:49 PM »
Thanks for that.
Frank Zappa