Author Topic: Parallel Fifths and Octaves  (Read 9058 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Parallel Fifths and Octaves
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 09:50:45 AM »
looking at ONLY your subject and countersubject, the suspension is correct.

the issue arises when you add the other voices. you have to be careful to leave the suspension properly exposed.

this is a difficulty in writing free counterpoint in 4 parts.

there are moments where it might be safest to insert a rest in a part, rather than over-burden the passage and risk having too many unisons or parallel intervals.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

FossMaNo1

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »
I find that I have (in my opinion) a rather medieval flavor for chords. I actually rather like parallel 5ths and quite often catch myself writing just exactly that, especially in short lyrical passages--especially when writing for horns. I tend to throw my hands up in disgust when I reviewing lines and discover this movement and grind my teeth as go back and try to work something new out.
C. Foster Payne
Worship Leader at Arapahoe Road Baptist Church, martial artist, Cowboy, karateka, father, husband...wannabe composer
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »
I find that I have (in my opinion) a rather medieval flavor for chords. I actually rather like parallel 5ths and quite often catch myself writing just exactly that, especially in short lyrical passages--especially when writing for horns. I tend to throw my hands up in disgust when I reviewing lines and discover this movement and grind my teeth as go back and try to work something new out.

Why do you go back and rewrite it? If you want a medieval flavour, then why not go for it?
Ron
Rules? What rules?

FossMaNo1

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »
Honestly? Because I am not a skilled composer, examples like this get me torn apart if I don't fix it. There have been a few times I refused to budge and leave it in, but mostly I change because those around me who are more skilled than me are probably right.
C. Foster Payne
Worship Leader at Arapahoe Road Baptist Church, martial artist, Cowboy, karateka, father, husband...wannabe composer
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »
Who is doing the tearing apart? It is one thing to have an accidental parallel 5th in a piece of four-part counterpoint--quite another to have your horns deliberately and with malice aforethought execute a passage of parallel 5ths.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

FossMaNo1

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »
Ron, I love your sense of humor!  ;D Point taken...when I do things intentionally I should probably be a little more comfortable and confident in my designs. But, like you said, when I break the rules through sloppiness, laziness, or just plain absentmindedness, I should be open to constructive criticism.
C. Foster Payne

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 06:35:22 PM »
Foss, it's important to understand why you are applying a certain rule.

If you are writing strict tonal counterpoint, then yes, parallel 5ths are verboten.

However, within the context of your own music, it is an entirely different issue.

As I said elsewhere, only parallel and direct octaves are problematic in ALL harmonic languages.

5ths are a completely different issue. The stricture against using parallel 5ths does not come from the same place as that against parallel 8ves.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
... have your horns deliberately and with malice aforethought execute a passage of parallel 5ths.

Ron, I love your sense of humor!  ;D

me too!

FossMaNo1

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
Thanks, Michel!
C. Foster Payne