Author Topic: Musical Recommendations thread  (Read 68627 times)

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
Re: Musical Recommendations thread
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2020, 07:04:35 AM »
The 1st film is radically different from the story.

I think the filmmakers in 1951 altered the story to be more of an allegory for "the Communist threat."

"The Thing" is among my favourite films, and that story by Campbell is absolutely terrifying.

It is, indeed. The story idea is so compelling, I can see why developing it into many interpretations is so tempting.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2020, 08:41:10 AM »
I think the filmmakers in 1951 altered the story to be more of an allegory for "the Communist threat."
Yes, as emphasized by the ending to "watch the skies." The moment when the men spread out in a circle on the ice and realize that they've discovered a flying saucer is accompanied by absolutely chilling music.

One of the best things about the film is the wit in the fast-paced overlapping dialogue. The director, Christian Nyby, worked under the influence of Howard Hawks. Nyby had originally been Hawks's film editor, and after The Thing he worked mostly in television.

Cheers,
Jer

Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2020, 09:36:26 AM »
Now I'm going to have to watch it again this weekend.  :)
I see there's a colorized version! My DVD is B&W. If the colorized version is worth it, I'd order it from Amazon. Anyone have it?