Author Topic: Internet-Computer Problems  (Read 3229 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Internet-Computer Problems
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:10:20 AM »
Okay, this is a new one for us, and is relevant to this forum, so here's what happened.

Saturday morning I connected to this site; no problems.

Saturday afternoon: "Server Not Found."

I log onto my GoDaddy account where the site is hosted and...everything is fine.  No apparent problems.

I have a main domain at GoDaddy and two subdomains: this forum being one; the other being the old ComposeForums. I can connect to the old ComposeForums with no problems. Yet, if I try to get to the new forum...or to my main domain...I get the "server not found" message. I do a quick check of other sites and everything appears to be fine. I can connect with no problems to any site I chose.

I call GoDaddy support. The agent there has no problems connecting to any of the three sites. He tried both from within and outside of GoDaddy's LAN. Suggests the problem is with our ISP. I decide to give the internet some time to sort itself out.

Few hours later: same response. I complain to my wife. She says, "That's funny, I've been unable to get to my main client's site all day. Same message." She tries my sites: "server not found." I try the site she's trying to connect to: "server not found." Any other sites for both of us appear to be fine.

This is weird. So, call ISP support. Agent says he has no problems connecting to any of the sites. Suggest I clear out my history, cache, cookies, etc. I say I'll try, reboot, and call back. No go. Ann calls the ISP.  He has her pinging the IP addresses of the troublesome sites.  IP addresses are fine: three packets sent; three received. Ping by name: "server not found."  :'(

Ann has a laptop she prepared for B&B guest use. Other than having the operating system installed, nothing has touched it. Agent also suggests she connect directly to the external wireless device, bypassing our network altogether. Same response.

So, this problem is not related to any of the three computers (ie., no virus, because it couldn't possibly have gotten onto the old laptop--which was never connected to our network); it is not related to our wireless router, because we get the same response when it is bypassed.  Somewhere, between our external wireless connection and our ISP, something weird is going on. I should mention Ann's client's address has absolutely nothing in common with the addresses I am trying to access. In fact, they are hosted in different countries.  ???

I expect our ISP rep to show up this morning to take everything apart, piece by piece. Before he shows up, Ann tries things out and has no problem at all connecting to the sites we could not get to the evening before. And, here I am, obviously connected just fine to this site.

At this point, we are left scratching our heads, totally mystified as to how a machine somewhere decided to mess with two completely different domains, both of which are important to us, for one specific IP access point.

Weirdness of the Internet. If anyone has a clue, post it here.

Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Internet-Computer Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
Absolutely NO clue... but I can tell you that Monday morning (today) there was a half hour where I couldn't access the old forum at all. Connection would just time out.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
Here's a feeble guess (for Ron's problem, not Michel's):  a corrupted cache on your ISP's domain name server.  Any connection needing one of the corrupted entries would be directed to the wrong IP address.  The problem would last until they cleared their cache or the entry's time expired.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »
That explanation sounds entirely plausible.  It was obvious that the problem was outside of our external web connection, but somewhere before names get translated to IP addresses, leaving only one possible place to look for it. An ISP rep called at noon to ask if the problem was fixed, and said they ran some "tests."
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:54:28 AM »
Tuesday morning, around 7:30 AM and again I can't access the old forum.  half hour earlier and I could. and more than likely, in another half hour it will be ok.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
And about half an hour ago I could not post a response on the old forum, or read new pages, reload currently viewed pages, etc.  That lasted about 10 minutes.   I suspect the server is having problems.

Pat