Author Topic: Musical Recommendations thread  (Read 70014 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Musical Recommendations thread
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »
I thought it might be fun for us to occasionally post pieces we are particularly fond of, and maybe talk about what influence they had on our own work/lives.

This is my first recommendation: Frank Martin, Petite Symphonie Concertante, for harpsichord, harp, piano, and strings.

This work was one of the first "truly modern" works I ever heard. It was barely 20 years old when I was born. And the mix of 12-tone, of triadic material, of heavy chromaticism and modal writing, was an eye-opener for me.

The last movement is... WONDERFUL.
it's not one of those "emotional" works, it's just.. intellectually stimulating.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

finger

Re: Musical Recommendations thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »
Great idea, Michel. I also love Martin.

Here's George Rochberg's 1'st symphony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRwiK--nTA

This is a powerful work. Later in his career, Rochberg juxtaposed atonal and tonal elements in his works as early as the 1970's when it was still practically a sacrilege (in academic circles) to do so. I found that inspiring.

Larrance

winknotes

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »
Great idea for a thread because I'll get to know some composers I'm not familiar with. 

Maybe cliche, but Rite of Spring was a piece that greatly influenced me.  At the time I marveled at the complexity and sophistication of all the sounds.  That's abou the level it struck me, but I'll never forget the impression I had when I listened to it.  For quite a while after that I couldn't get enough of Stravinsky.  It's funny but I hardly listen to Stravinsky any more. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »
Larrance!!!! the Rochberg is WONDERFUL.

And Steve, there is NOTHING wrong with loving a good solid repertoire standard.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:49:24 PM »
Like you, Steve, I fell in love the Sacre de printemps when a teenager and bought every recording I could of Stravinski. And, like you, I no longer listen to his music.

As a teenager I also adored Prokofiev--especially for the soundtrack he did for Eisenstein's "Alexandre Nevski."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:31:30 PM by Michel.R.E »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jamie Kowalski

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:21:57 PM »
I'm another Stravinsky nut, and I still listen. :)

But what I'd really like to recommend if you can manage to find a recording, is Andrzej Panufnik's "Autumn Music" (and part 2). It's scored for three flutes, three clarinets, percussion, celesta, piano, harp, violas, cellos, and basses. It is beautiful and introspective, and if you're not familiar with it, I promise you've never heard anything quite like it. I would go as far as saying listening to it changed the way I have written music.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:29:20 AM by Jamie Kowalski »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
I love Nyevski as well (no idea why they transliterate it as "nevsky".. they're missing the "Y" sound after the "N").

Apparently, James Horner loved it so much he quoted it verbatim in Star Trek: Wrath of Khan.

This was apparently Prokoviev's answer to Sacre du Printemps: Scythian Suite. It's long been one of my favourites by him. The ending is GLORIOUS.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:33:36 PM by Michel.R.E »

winknotes

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:57:22 AM »
I'm another Stravinsky nut, and I still listen. :)

But what I'd really like to recommend if you can manage to find a recording, is Andrzej Panufnik's "Autumn Music." It's scored for three flutes, three clarinets, percussion, celesta, piano, harp, violas, cellos, and basses. It is beautiful and introspective, and if you're not familiar with it, I promise you've never heard anything quite like it. I would go as far as saying listening to it changed the way I have written music.

Wow that is a great piece.  I like the harmonic language alot.  Interesting colors too.  At times I could swear there's a trumpet in there.  I'd like to see a score on this one.  Thanks for bringing this composer to my attention.

So is this a program piece?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:59:44 AM by winknotes »
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »
La création du monde ....   Darius Milhaud

It just so different!  ..............

Mark
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:27:06 AM by Michel.R.E »

Jamie Kowalski

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:53:59 AM »
Michel,

Thanks for inserting the link to the youtube video for the Panufnik. I sometimes forget how easy it is to find music there. I've updated my post to add the link to the second half as well, since youtube breaks it up.

Wow that is a great piece.  I like the harmonic language alot.  Interesting colors too.  At times I could swear there's a trumpet in there.  I'd like to see a score on this one.  Thanks for bringing this composer to my attention.

My pleasure! This is one composer who deserves a lot more attention, in my opinion. I actually own a score of this work, and it's quite beautiful to look at on the page as well. Unbelievably, Panufnik reconstructed some of his early works completely from memory after having to leave all his possessions behind when he fled Poland in the 50s.

Some of my favorites Panufnik: (I could only find one of these online)
Sinfonia Rustica (Symphony No. 1)
Sinfonia Sacra (Symphony No. 3) pt I - pt II
Tragic Overture
Heroic Overture

I'm also a very big fan of both the Scythian Suite and Creation du monde. I had heard the Rochberg only once, and many years ago. Thanks for the reminder. I must be in the right place, because you guys all have great taste!

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »
ok, since absolutely NO one here knows that I am a moderate fan of Samuel Barber's music (yeah, right),  I thought I'd post a slightly lesser known work of his, the 2nd Essay for orchestra. It's a mini-symphony. This was one of the most influential pieces on my own musical development.

the 2nd "movement" is a WONDERFUL fugue on a very unlikely subject.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:44:39 AM by Michel.R.E »

winknotes

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
I love Barber as well.  I just got study scores for his string quartet and his 1st symphony.  Fantastic pieces.  I also prefer the adagio as a quartet over the string orchestra.  I'm also fond of Medea's Meditation and Dance of Vengeance
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

jmsuijkerbuijk

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
As a young lad I heard Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde". Ortrun Wenkel was supposed to sing the alto part but had to forfeit because of illness, regretably; substitute was Janet Baker, whom I hadn't even heard of back then.
The complex simplicity of the music and its straightforwardness struck me very, very deep and had me make up my mind for the rest of my life: I was to write music, regardless.

Jamie Kowalski

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »
Most of you probably know this one, but just in case you don't:

Charles Ives - The Unanswered Question

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
Speaking of Samuel Barber: I find it incredibly ironic that the Adagio for Strings was used in one of the most "anti-war" films ever made... Samuel Barber was an officer in the American airforce, and a staunch patriot. He would most definitely not have approved.

just an anecdote.