Author Topic: Orchestration exercise 1: mood/tone  (Read 6375 times)

FossMaNo1

Re: Orchestration exercise 1: mood/tone
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »
Makes sense to me!   ;D
C. Foster Payne
Worship Leader at Arapahoe Road Baptist Church, martial artist, Cowboy, karateka, father, husband...wannabe composer
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."

FossMaNo1

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
Okay, here's my submission.

Moods #1 Score PDF
Moods #1 MP3

I used a C Major triad and found "startled" and "anger" hard to do with it.  Ah well, I suppose that's the point.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:15:47 PM by FossMaNo1 »
C. Foster Payne
Worship Leader at Arapahoe Road Baptist Church, martial artist, Cowboy, karateka, father, husband...wannabe composer
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."

winknotes

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
Here's mine.  This is/was hard not only trying to elicit a specific mood but listening to different orchestrations and describing the mood that particular orchestration depicted. 

1.  Joy or elation:  My thoughts were to voice things in a solidly loud range and to voice the third on top.  This has always sounded very optimistic to me. 
     2.  Comic:  Simply using extreme ranges on either end and leaving out middle register instruments.  I didn't stretch individual instrument ranges (e.g. making low instruments play very high), but used instruments that sounded best high low.  Perhaps my current rendition is a little too full.
     3.  Shimmering:  This is a texture I love but am not sure I really captured.  Tremolando in the woodwinds and tremolo in the strings. 
     4.  Finality/Firmness:  Lower tesatura in general.  More low brass including horns for a roundness of the sound. 

I certainly could have spent more time with this.  I didn't go to the literature to "cheat" although that's what I'll do in the next couple of days.  I'll try to come up with examples of these moods and find score examples to compare. 

I included an mp3 but I'm not sure it's all that helpful in some cases like stopped horns for example. 

[files older than one year deleted]
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
1) Foss, excellent choice, to emphasize the 5th of the chord as "soprano" in "Hope".
and again, same with "Startled", excellent idea to dominate the entire sound with it as 2nd inversion.
for the "Happy" chord, I wonder if the quasi-unison of trombones and tuba is the best choice? it will definitely "dominate" the sound with that huge "C!!!!!!",
HAHAHA, a TINY bit o' cheatin' on "Angry"... but I'm sure it works. the ambiguity of leaving out the tonic of the chord will certainly help.

2) Steve: great examples also.
For the "shimmering" one, I might wonder about the wisdom of giving the oboe pair the tremolando notation as well.  I think using only one of the oboes, possibly sitting above the other woodwinds, just a held note? it's an idea to look at. An idea to add to the effect might have been to have the celli play a high harmonic, or possibly harmonics in divisi.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

FossMaNo1

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Michel.  "Angry" was HARD to do with a C Major chord!  Actually, so was "startled" until I came up with the notion that being startled meant you had no idea what just happened and you only have one thought: protect yourself.  That's where the idea of only one unison note came from.  For angry, there was no way it would sound the way it should as a major triad, however I thought I might be able to cheat by leaving out the tonic and keeping only a minor third.  For both "startled" and "angry" I would have preferred a bit of disonance, but heh... that's what the exercise was for.

As for "happy," I wanted that tonic to be dominant, but I probably did put too much emphasis on it.  Still, I was hoping spreadng out the octaves would help...  ;D  I probably should have at least put the fifth of the chord in the 2nd trombone.
C. Foster Payne