Author Topic: Pastoral Splendor: Celebrating Rural Life  (Read 200 times)

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
Pastoral Splendor: Celebrating Rural Life
« on: March 22, 2021, 06:42:29 AM »
Please follow the score and listen here: https://youtu.be/s_uygwFZZ_8. Comments welcome.

“Pastoral Splendor: Celebrating Rural Life” is a Grade 3 chorale and variations with a duration of about 3:00. The piece celebrates rural life, reminding us that our heritage began as a rural tradition. As it was then, rural life continues to be a vital part of any country's growth and vitality.
   This piece offers ample opportunities to teach lessons in intonation, maintaining a steady tempo, blending, solo playing, observing dynamics, and independence.
   I considered the grandeur of rustic scenery as I wrote this piece. I imagined a crisp late-spring sunrise over dew-laden fields, smoke rising from isolated chimneys, a cornfield swaying gently in a summery breeze, an apple orchard’s grid-like symmetry, a small town nearly hidden by fresh snowfall, and flocks of birds diving and rising near farmhouses, fields, and silos.
   This piece would enrich any concert program’s offerings. Thoughtful cues let smaller bands and groups with uneven instrumentation perform this piece successfully. Even though “Pastoral Splendor: Celebrating Rural Life” is a Grade 3, its sophistication and complexity make it accessible by more experienced bands.
         Thanks for listening and commenting.

Art

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Pastoral Splendor: Celebrating Rural Life
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 07:47:33 AM »
Well, well ... what a lovely theme and a broad soft endearing start.  It is a serene work in the American Band tradition.  It has a very full texture/fabric for a grade 3 work. 

My only comment is I feel it ends too quickly.  I understand it's an introductory part of a program; yet, I felt it needed a bit more.  Maybe a Coda?

Of course, the score is more difficult to read on the video ... from what I can ascertain ... the woodwinds look where they should be for this level.

Art this is indeed well crafted ... you sure do know your audience. 

Mark

gogreen

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:08:14 AM »
My only comment is I feel it ends too quickly.  I understand it's an introductory part of a program; yet, I felt it needed a bit more.  Maybe a Coda?

I had the same thought.

Thanks, Mark.

Art

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 09:31:46 AM »
Lovely piece, Art. It expresses just what you intended and the beautiful photo suggested.

I like the variety in the variations and the way they overlay the ostinato underneath. And wonderful instrumental colors.

I second what Mark said and you acknowledged. I would have liked to hear a more drawn-out statement of the chorale at the end.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 10:39:13 AM »
I enjoyed listening to this work, Art. I can't say I could mentally relate it to pastoral life but I did like it as the crafty musical piece it is. Particularly liked the passages where the brass talk in a tranquil tone.

Reha

gogreen

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:43:21 AM »
I can't say I could mentally relate it to pastoral life

I was thinking about this, too. It occurred to me others might not "see" in the music what I see--that is, I might not have conveyed the title. I might ditch the title for something else.

That said,  I did consider the grandeur of rustic scenery as I wrote this piece. I imagined a crisp late-spring sunrise over dew-laden fields, smoke rising from isolated chimneys, a cornfield swaying gently in a summery breeze, an apple orchard’s grid-like symmetry, a small town nearly hidden by fresh snowfall, and flocks of birds diving and rising near farmhouses, fields, and silos.

Thanks, Reha.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:55:50 PM by gogreen »

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 02:40:26 PM »
Art, I didn't mean to say I didn't hear it to be "pastoral" enough or that I rather heard it as depicting "urban" scenes. It is only that my subjective listening experience did not include any such associations or evocations regarding location. The fact that you were inspired by ideas of a "pastoral life" more than suffices to justify the title, I think.

gogreen

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 03:05:17 PM »
The fact that you were inspired by ideas of a "pastoral life" more than suffices to justify the title, I think.

Good point. I need to think this one over... :-\

Art

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 12:51:33 PM »

Art, I like this.

As always, your music is well crafted. I too would like to see this extended in some way.

The music from 67 and especially bar 72 is to me a transition to something more.

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 26
DAW: Cubase 10
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

gogreen

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
The music from 67 and especially bar 72 is to me a transition to something more.

Thanks, Morten. I'll give this another look.

Art