Author Topic: Anyone using Dorico?  (Read 249 times)

winknotes

Anyone using Dorico?
« on: March 07, 2021, 05:29:03 PM »
First of all I've been away for wwwwaaaaaayyyyy too long.  Work and life have kept me away but I'm composing again, sort of.  I'm writing music for a ballet my daughter is producing which is mostly going back through compositions I've written over the last 10 years or so and using those as a starting point. 

Anyway I've been talking to a fellow local composer who made the switch from Finale to Dorico about 3 years ago and he loved it.  So after some thought I downloaded the demo version and he's right.  It's pretty intuitive, the output looks very good and the control over playback is really as thorough as a DAW in the sense that you can edit velocities and controller data in a piano roll type view.  And furthermore I could mix NotePerformer and VSL without any issues.  So even though I'm a long time Finale user it would seem that the folks at Dorico have leap-frogged the other notation software developers by quite a bit. 

I was wondering if anyone else was using it? 

Steve Winkler
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
Re: Anyone using Dorico?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 03:47:35 AM »
Hi Steve !

I am not a Dorico user, nor have I used Finale. I have been using Notion for about ten years and have been really happy with it's playback and mixing capabilities without having to go through a DAW for editing. The only drawback is its limitation to what libraries can be played back using notation only. I can playback with some good libraries like East West Gold Orchestra, BBC Orchestra and its solo strings, as well Cinematic Studio Strings and solo strings.

That being said, I may check out Dorico just to investigate how they approach the playback editing, midi export etc. Maybe we could compare notes?

Thanks for sharing.

Mark
I'll be Bach. You be Beethoven. You think you can Handel that ?

winknotes

Re: Anyone using Dorico?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 10:02:27 AM »
Sure I'd love to.  Also as it is a notation software I'm impressed with the output and some of the engraving decisions it makes for you without having to fuss with much myself, that is in my limited use so far. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)