Author Topic: Breaking of the Ice Shelf (Complete)  (Read 159 times)

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
Breaking of the Ice Shelf (Complete)
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:07:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

Here is the final version of Breaking of the Ice Shelf. I've added a middle section and done a lot of fine tuning since I posted in the works-in-progress section.

Breaking of the Ice Shelf mp3
Full orchestral score

This is my work using the non-octave-repeating scale:

... etc.

I will make another post later about some of the ways the scale was used.

I'd really appreciate any feedback and comments.

Thanks for listening!

Jamie

whitebark

Re: Breaking of the Ice Shelf (Complete)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:04:58 AM »
I enjoyed listening to your piece. It has a powerful and dramatic sound. I liked the rich and colorful orchestration and intriguing harmonies that come from the unusual scale. The recording is excellent - I assume you did not use NP3 and went with your own sample library.

Excellent work, congratulations!

Jay
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:46:56 AM by whitebark »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »
Hi Jamie,

This is a very intelligently crafted composition.  It is "witty" and "jarring"  and definitely holds your interest and makes a statement.

Your style and skill shine through the work.  Every beat is in its proper place. 

Very enjoyable ...  ;D

Mark

PS: We would love to hear your skilled insights on other people's work~!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:50:18 AM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:46:22 AM »
Jamie,

It's fantastic. A dramatic adventure.

It stands on its own, but it's impossible not to also hear it as a film score.

The transparency of the orchestration and the depth of the sound are astounding. I particularly like the celesta.

The hint of lyricism that pokes through is a nice contrast.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 10:47:38 AM »
Exactly as Jer and others say. Very powerful and precise!

I loved the lyrical passage, too.

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 11:19:44 AM »
Hi Jay,

Thanks for your kind post.

I assume you did not use NP3 and went with your own sample library.

I've recently started using the CineSample libraries, after getting them for an absolute steal around Black Friday. I really like the sound of most of the instruments, but I've had to completely rework all the settings to get them to work how I like. Still have a couple of problems here and there, but nothing I haven't been able to work around.

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 11:22:26 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the kind words.

We would love to hear your skilled insights on other people's work~!

Noted! I know I've been slacking off a bit of late. Now that I'm done with this piece I feel like I have more breathing room, and I'll start making the rounds again.

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:28:54 AM »
Thank you Jerry and Reha,

The hint of lyricism that pokes through is a nice contrast.

I loved the lyrical passage, too.

The middle section was written last, and was the most difficult for me. I knew I wanted something gentle as a big contrast to the outer sections, but getting something that sounded like it belonged wasn't easy for some reason. The fun thing I've discovered about the scale is that it can sound either very tonal or very atonal, depending on what you do with it.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 11:35:40 AM »
It's extremely evocative! You know I liked the first draft/sketch you posted of this. This is great stuff, very colourful, accessible without falling into any sort of populist traps.

I'm particularly fond of the brass part at letter I.

one thing I'd suggest is have the rising figure in the strings in the opening overlap by one note: basses play the same note as the celli's first note, celli play the same note as the violas', etc... it will make for slightly smoother transitions between each section of the strings.

OH I wanted to add: it has a bit of that 1960's-70's Jerry Goldsmith / Leonard Rosenman film score quality to it. It was a bit evocative of Rosenman's score to Fantastic Voyage. And that's one of my favourite "modernist" film scores. It's less accessible than your piece is, mind you. Yours speaks more directly.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:37:56 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 11:40:30 AM »
a quick word on the libraries you used: I found the violin solo a bit "dark", it almost sounded like it should have been a viola solo.
And the celesta was also a tiny bit toned down, missing some of the brightness it normally carries in a live setting.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 12:57:02 PM »
Hi Jamie, I really enjoyed this. It feels... dangerous! The colors are used masterfully.

The only thing that stood out to me was already picked up by Michel:
one thing I'd suggest is have the rising figure in the strings in the opening overlap by one note: basses play the same note as the celli's first note, celli play the same note as the violas', etc... it will make for slightly smoother transitions between each section of the strings.

Dovetailing the strings (and winds/brass when it occurs in the same figures) would give better transitions and, more importantly, might help the line feel as if it is "pushing forward."

That said, it's a stylistic choice for the composer, and I can also totally get behind the way you're using the material here.

Great job!
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 06:43:54 AM »
It's extremely evocative! You know I liked the first draft/sketch you posted of this. This is great stuff, very colourful, accessible without falling into any sort of populist traps.

Thank you, Michel.

it has a bit of that 1960's-70's Jerry Goldsmith / Leonard Rosenman film score quality to it. It was a bit evocative of Rosenman's score to Fantastic Voyage. And that's one of my favourite "modernist" film scores.

I love that score as well. Beautiful and strange!

a quick word on the libraries you used: I found the violin solo a bit "dark", it almost sounded like it should have been a viola solo.
And the celesta was also a tiny bit toned down, missing some of the brightness it normally carries in a live setting.

Hmm... pretty sure I can brighten the celesta easily, and maybe do something about the violin by using different mic position settings. Thanks for pointing those out.

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 06:49:04 AM »
Hi Jamie, I really enjoyed this. It feels... dangerous! The colors are used masterfully.

Thanks, Flint. I appreciate it.

Dovetailing the strings (and winds/brass when it occurs in the same figures) would give better transitions and, more importantly, might help the line feel as if it is "pushing forward."

That said, it's a stylistic choice for the composer, and I can also totally get behind the way you're using the material here.

I avoided going that route consciously. It's true that it's one rising/falling line, but each little four-note figure is an entity unto itself, and I want it to feel more as if each is presented individually, even as they fit together to create a larger whole.

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 01:36:54 PM »
I've uploaded a new version brightening the sounds of the celesta and violin, as Michel suggested. Also a couple of balance issues with the bassoons were sorted out.

sandalwood

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 02:00:36 PM »
The violin sound had made me think of viola as well. Now it sounds more like a violin, I think. To my ears, however, the previous darker sound suited the piece better and the same for the celesta. I may think differently when I listen again tomorrow, though.