Author Topic: Music for a <???>  (Read 682 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Music for a Haphazard Dream
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 09:27:39 PM »
Thank you.  I'll re-examine the rapid figures in the strings.  I'll see if I can keep the intervals small or contain rising 6ths. 

Actually, I suppose this is very basic string writing theory, and I may have been taught it (but obviously didn't learn it) at one time.  I should limit any fast figures to one position - either with a rang less than a 5th or containing a 6th.  I don't understand the restriction to a rising 6th, though.  Shouldn't a figure that works when rising be reversible?

Anyway, I'm sure I can easily rework the short gestural figures, but I need to carefully examine the runs in mm 63-70 (and when they reappear later on).  I expect I'll have to re-conceive those runs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:05:28 AM by Patrick O'Keefe »

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 09:07:34 AM »
About the stopped horn, you should of course do whichever works for you, I just wanted to make sure you were clear on the sound you were getting. The sound of your mockup is much closer to the sound of straight mute than to stopped, which is why I pointed it out. That's a common substitution sound in notation libraries.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 09:27:53 AM »
I noticed that the sound library produced the same sound for both stopped and muted notes.  I'll again listen to online examples and make sure I'm choosing the sound I want.

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Music for a <descriptive adjective> Dream
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »
I'm not convinced the transition at letter E (or rather, the transition into letter E) works well. maybe take a look at that again?
Oops.  Sometime around the time I first posted this work I moved rehearsal make E and I didn't check which version I had posted.  I've been trying to fix the section prior to the old E (which did need some work).  I'll now start looking at the current E just in case.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 09:59:47 AM »
in the score I checked, rehearsal mark E was at measure 186.

specifically, that transition sort of felt "directionless" or anti-climactic.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 02:20:49 PM »
in the score I checked, rehearsal mark E was at measure 186.

specifically, that transition sort of felt "directionless" or anti-climactic.
I was afraid of that - not the place I was trying to fix.  The march figure that returns at E is not a strong motif and makes for a pretty ridiculous climax.  Maybe I can make strong statement of the motif that highlights the absurdity of having it as a climax.  I'm not convinced I can pull it off.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 12:59:55 PM »
I've made a number of changes.  The links in the 1st post of this thread point to the updated files.
Some of the changes:
  • I've simplified some of the string phrases containing 32nd notes.
    One section I really didn't want to change much was mm 63-70.  I ran these by a violinist friend.  He thought I shouldn't simplify it.  There's another version of the phrases at mm 202-209 which I didn't show him.  Hopefully I won't have to change that much.
  • I switched the horn in mm 141-146 from stopped to mute and added a bit of movement  - fewer long notes.  Hopefully this will make it more playable.
  • The previous PDF files had been concert pitch.  I've switched to transposing.  Usually it's easy to tell looking at the score, but since I'm not using key signatures I thought I should mention it.

I've done no score cleanup yet.  My next step is to try to clean up enharmonic spellings.  At the moment they are a mess

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 02:01:35 PM »
Absolutely delightful with a good Russian vibe ... very "Prokofiev" in style.

It definitely should be performed.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk9df3R6dxY

Mark

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 02:15:43 PM »
Thank you, Mark.  I hadn't thought of it as Russian feeling, but I can see what you mean.

I hope I can convince a group to perform it, but I'm not counting on it. 

Pat

P.S.  I forgot to mention in my list of changes that I've tried to address the directionless and anti-climatic transition.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:14:04 PM by Patrick O'Keefe »

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Music for a <???>
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 04:37:06 PM »
New name: Music for a Untold Tale.
When writing program notes I decided none of my previous names worked.
I've made a few tweaks and will undoubtedly make a few more, but I think this is getting close to complete.

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 09:17:09 AM »
I liked it, Patrick. The introduction seemed playful, almost humorous, and I thought the transition after a few pages was smooth. I noticed in several places you have a hairpin decrescendo on a whole note followed by a dynamic in an empty measure. I suggest shortening the hairpins and placing the dynamics near the ends of those measures. Is that the intent? I'm unsure what you want with the dynamic in an empty measure after the hairpin.

In your notes, I think you could be more specific about what you want to achieve and how the conductor and performers can achieve it.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, but I liked to title on the music itself ("Music for a DayDream - An Imagined Adventure")--is that the new title or the old one?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:20:35 AM by gogreen »

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 04:14:58 PM »
...  I noticed in several places you have a hairpin decrescendo on a whole note followed by a dynamic in an empty measure.
I dug out Behind the Bars to see what Ms. Gould had to say about that and I find it a bit unclear.  She says the hairpin should end on the notehead or rest following the last effected note.  She shows examples of the hairpins ending at a rest but does not show an ending dynamic.  I assumed that if the hairpin ends at a rest, then the ending dynamic is on that rest.  But that doesn't say what to do when that following rest is a whole-bar rest. 

In your notes, I think you could be more specific about what you want to achieve and how the conductor and performers can achieve it.
Oh man!  I have enough trouble just thinking up terms like "animated".  I doubt I'll come up with anything better than what I have ... even though what I have is vague.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, but I liked to title on the music itself ("Music for a DayDream - An Imagined Adventure")--is that the new title or the old one?
That's the current and final title.