Author Topic: January 2021 (new Year subject) Formal Musical Education  (Read 693 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
January 2021 (new Year subject) Formal Musical Education
« on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:12 AM »
Let me propose as a topic of discussion one that is more about personal goals than philosophical in a larger sense about music.

Have you, are you, or do you intend on gaining access to more "formal" musical education?

For example, taking harmony, or counterpoint, or orchestration classes somewhere?

"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: January 2021 (new Year subject) Formal Musical Education
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »
Michel,

I have two sources for learning and feedback: a mentor with DMA in composition/Music Director and my son-in-law who is a talented high school music teacher.  I have frequent Zoom sessions to discuss my work.  So for me, my education is literally a work in progress.  It fits my needs (age) at the moment for what I want to accomplish.  Also being an orchestra musician I am always in the midst of orchestration, my ears are always tuned to what's going on as we perform.  For example, the ensemble playing for the famous Oboe solo in the Brahms Violin Concerto or Sibelius (which I felt could have used a bit of judicial editing!).  I did take a year of counterpoint in college.  Of course, being well educated in the music literature is crucial, whether its Korngold, Mahler, or Prokofiev.  The forum also serves as a good place for feedback and learning.  I wouldn't mind some structured/pointed online material that would be easy to digest.

Mark

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 01:45:05 PM »
For me, I guess it depends on your definition of "formal".  I don't really have any excuse for saying "no" (although that doesn't mean I'm saying "yes"  :) ). 

To make up for my complete lack of formal music education I've been a private student of a teacher / tutor/ mentor / security blanket for the past 10 or 11 years. The first couple of years were heavily into theory - harmony, counterpoint, composing techniques, orchestration, etc. - but was not a very good student.  (I have picked up techniques but am very poor at associating those techniques with the underlying theory.)  Every once in a while I get fed up with my lack of understanding and ask for another dose of theory.   There's no reason I should not do that again soon.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 05:21:07 PM »
I don't live close enough to any university to take a formal program, but several years ago I did take courses on harmony, counterpoint, and orchestration at Carleton University. If I lived near a campus I would still be taking courses. I have studied with individuals, but that has never worked out very well. The last one kept pushing me to write using techniques I wasn't interested in after he asked me before we began our program what I wanted to focus on.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »
Sorry, somehow I missed this when originally posted.

As I've said in other threads, in terms of formal education, I've only had a couple of semesters of working though the Piston Harmony book. Other than that I'm self taught.

I'd love to be able to take some classes in various aspects of theory, counterpoint, etc., but I don't have the time or money to do so, sadly.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 01:40:21 PM »
I would to have more "formal education" in music and composition. As having a hand percussion background does not lend itself easily to coming to grips with counterpoint and/or harmony !

I have tried a couple of online courses. https://www.artofcomposing.com was very helpful. Other than that, I am reading and trying to apply what I glean from my reading list into short compositional exercises or pieces I write for choreography. Right now I am reading "Analyzing Classical Form" by William Caplan, trying to do some of the exercises there. I imagine this will take quite some time to work through.

Like Ron I tried to work with a piano/harmony/composition teacher and that did not work out as planned. Just not a good fit.

Now, If anyone has any suggestions for online courses, or mentor for hire, or magic pill that makes anything you create sound amazing, let me know, for I would be all ears.

Have fun, and be well and safe!

Mark

I'll be Bach. You be Beethoven. You think you can Handel that ?

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »
Back in the 1960s I took a course in music theory in the extension program at Juilliard with Professor Peter Schickele (the future P.D.Q. Bach).

I still have the course materials, which from time to time I look over.

Other than that, for the next half century I focussed on playing jazz, in which I'm self-taught, although my listening preference has been classical music.

I've been thinking of enrolling in some kind of online course, which would force me to work faster — I function best under deadlines — and, I hope, learn more in shorter time.

I enjoy entering Thomas Goss's Orchestra Online Orchestration Challenge each year, as his comments on mine and other people's entries are valuable.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 07:03:58 AM »
Hey Jerry Thanks for mentioning the Thomas Goss online contest. His site looks interesting as well. Also, Thanks Michel for suggesting this topic. Sharing ideas, the good , the bad and the atonal, is a sure fire way to stimulate the creative juices.

Thanks again,

Mark
I'll be Bach. You be Beethoven. You think you can Handel that ?