Author Topic: January 2021 (new Year subject) Formal Musical Education  (Read 313 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
January 2021 (new Year subject) Formal Musical Education
« on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:12 AM »
Let me propose as a topic of discussion one that is more about personal goals than philosophical in a larger sense about music.

Have you, are you, or do you intend on gaining access to more "formal" musical education?

For example, taking harmony, or counterpoint, or orchestration classes somewhere?

"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: January 2021 (new Year subject) Formal Musical Education
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »
Michel,

I have two sources for learning and feedback: a mentor with DMA in composition/Music Director and my son-in-law who is a talented high school music teacher.  I have frequent Zoom sessions to discuss my work.  So for me, my education is literally a work in progress.  It fits my needs (age) at the moment for what I want to accomplish.  Also being an orchestra musician I am always in the midst of orchestration, my ears are always tuned to what's going on as we perform.  For example, the ensemble playing for the famous Oboe solo in the Brahms Violin Concerto or Sibelius (which I felt could have used a bit of judicial editing!).  I did take a year of counterpoint in college.  Of course, being well educated in the music literature is crucial, whether its Korngold, Mahler, or Prokofiev.  The forum also serves as a good place for feedback and learning.  I wouldn't mind some structured/pointed online material that would be easy to digest.

Mark

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: January 2021 (new Year subject) Formal Musical Education
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 01:45:05 PM »
For me, I guess it depends on your definition of "formal".  I don't really have any excuse for saying "no" (although that doesn't mean I'm saying "yes"  :) ). 

To make up for my complete lack of formal music education I've been a private student of a teacher / tutor/ mentor / security blanket for the past 10 or 11 years. The first couple of years were heavily into theory - harmony, counterpoint, composing techniques, orchestration, etc. - but was not a very good student.  (I have picked up techniques but am very poor at associating those techniques with the underlying theory.)  Every once in a while I get fed up with my lack of understanding and ask for another dose of theory.   There's no reason I should not do that again soon.