Author Topic: Petite Messe pour le Repos — Dies Iræ  (Read 206 times)

Rex Potam

• My home page
Petite Messe pour le Repos — Dies Iræ
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:39:19 AM »
Hello,

This is Dies Iræ, the first part of an important text of the Requiem Mass: the Sequence. This long prayer is split in six parts…Overview and explanations of the whole piece: https://rex-potam.cadrian.net/en/music/classical/requiem/scratch02/

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,

Rex

whitebark

Re: Petite Messe pour le Repos — Dies Iræ
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »
This selection from your mass was exciting but short- it left me wanting more.  You began this section by quoting a fragment of the Dies Irae chant, and it sounds incomplete. Perhaps you could quote the whole thing. Then follow the chant with a exciting transition into the main part of the piece.

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:40:27 AM »
Well, it certainly holds your attention~!  Lots of Pathos here.  One shakes in anticipation of judgement ... nicely done.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:48:29 AM »
I like the counterposing of the slow, measured vocals against the violently wild background.

I think, though, that I would have liked to hear the voices all singing the whole Dies Irae melody, rather than only its opening in the basses.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
... You began this section by quoting a fragment of the Dies Irae chant, and it sounds incomplete. Perhaps you could quote the whole thing. Then follow the chant with a exciting transition into the main part of the piece.
While the fragment you quote is more than just the 4 notes that some composers use, Jay has a good point.  Even if you used no more that excerpted motif, it you feel better to me if you developed it to lead directly into the following section rather than have it stand by itself.

Rex Potam

• My home page
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 08:23:22 AM »
Thanks all for your comments! There are some good ideas. Yes, this may need to be extended but I must be careful not to "dilute" the effect.

At least, it worked as intended  :)

Cheers,

Rex

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 08:27:46 AM »
the piano part, as written, is next to impossible to play.

you've relegated the cello to its lowest octave through most of this movement, and a large part of it is written in close proximity to the piano's lowest notes. the effect will be muddy. close intervals in the lowest register like this don't tend to come out well.

"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"