Author Topic: Trio for clarinet, violin, and piano (1st movement)  (Read 222 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Trio for clarinet, violin, and piano (1st movement)
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »
Ok, I've been playing around with ideas for this for a few months, and have now spent the last few weeks working on the 1st movement.

It's a simple movement, each instrument describes a specific person: the clarinet is the conductor who premiered my last two orchestral works (he's a clarinetist), the violin represents the musician who premiered my violin concerto, and the piano part represents a young local pianist.

A tiny "construction" element was that each theme starts with, or is composed of elements drawn from the names of the three dedicatees.

This is actually the first time I post a work in the "in progress" section of the forum. I usually dislike posting unfinished works. But MOST of this is finalized, but I'll probably still be adjusting details over the next few months. Some things I will likely want to modify will be some details in the piano part.

I also haven't decided on a tempo marking yet. It was originally "Adagio", but the music moves faster than that, and yet, I don't want to mark anything that might push musicians to play it too fast, either. So for the time being, it's "Modéré" (though the score may not reflect some adjustments I've brought to it yet.)

The title of the movement will also probably not remain "Nocturne".

the recording is on Soundcloud, in a private file.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:15:52 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Trio for clarinet, violin, and piano (1st movement)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 12:37:18 PM »
Hi, Michel just listened to the first movement (3 times).

The music, for me, was a bit ambiguous.  It begins with a beautiful sorrowful "jazzY" motive - Coplandish in flavor, and then I felt the music moved into more of an impressionistic/romantic direction, as illustrated by the piano rhythmic passages and trills, etc.

Now I know the two are not mutually exclusive; however, I felt there might have been a bit too much distance between the two ideas.

Maybe, your intent here - is to bring a more positive/shine after the opening? And/or present a struggle to the recapitulation of the original ideas.

Please share your thoughts...

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 02:18:16 PM »
the harmony in what you call the more "impressionistic" section is actually the same harmony as in the "jazzy" section, only with a few added notes.

one of the main reasons the opening theme doesn't get as much "airtime" is that the intervals (prominent melodic open 5ths) are considerably less comfortable and idiomatic on the violin.

the opening material does come back, in the violin part, quite regularly, but the intervals had to be changed to reflect more idiomatic writing for the instrument.

however, I'm open to looking at it again and potentially bringing some changes to the later sections.

I've already looked at the opening page and replacing those chords in the piano part with sextuplets like in the later sections.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 03:34:38 PM »
This is a lovely piece with a wistful feel.  Nice melodic material for the clarinet and violin, supported by the piano's  lush, impressionistic harmonies.  It certainly sounds complete to me and I don't have any suggestions for improvement.

The score looks good - I did not see any mistakes or oddities.

Jay

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:29:52 AM »
Michel,

It's an interesting mixture of styles.

The opening section sounds like Gershwin's idea of jazz, as well as Ravel's Concerto in G. I especially like the wide open sound of the C#m11 in bar 6. I kind of hoped it would continue that way.

What follows seems more along the line of some of your other works, with I think a nod to Copland and even Leonard Bernstein. Effective and enjoyable, with some nice drama and climaxes, even though I missed what I thought was promised at the beginning.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »
I think this movement is expressive, reasonably accessible and robust in flow of its narrative. The pleasurable listening experience reminded me that of a Debussy trio, with no surface similarity involved, though. 

I'd love to hear anything you would care to say about how you've made your decisions concerning form.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 08:48:47 AM »
Thank-you Jay, Jer, and Reha.

Honestly, I started writing this movement as a means of forcing myself back into writing.

I've been dry for 2 years now, nothing new wanting to come out.
I was afraid that I'd never again be inspired to write anything.

Structurally, the short movement is a sort of ABA. The idea was to create an interplay of themes and motifs that represent each of the three dedicatees: the clarinet theme which is only really prominent in the first page (though it returns consistently throughout the work, even if well-camouflaged); The violin theme; and the piano motifs.

I was looking for a more fluid structure, one where the delineating sections aren't clearly marked off.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 09:02:32 AM »
Since this *is* a "work in progress", there are regularly changes being brought to the short movement. I've slightly altered some harmony in a few spots to help with a more cohesive sens of harmonic progression. I'm also constantly working on the piano part, making it feel more idiomatic and a bit richer and more interesting.

So I'll repost it a few days (I've having a procedure done at the hospital tomorrow, and don't really expect to be able to work on music at least until Thursday).

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
Be well~!

I look forward to the changes .......... etc.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 10:37:40 AM »
Be well, Michel!