Author Topic: It's 2021 ....Happy New Year!!!  (Read 238 times)

whitebark

It's 2021 ....Happy New Year!!!
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »
I hope everyone has a great New Year!  What are your plans for musical compositions in 2021? I don't have anything definite planned at this point.

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: It's 2021 ....Happy New Year!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:48:32 AM »
Happy New Year to all.

I am still working on "A Child's Walk".  I just had a session with my mentor.  It's coming along nicely ... plenty of work yet to do.

In my mind's eye ... I would like more of a "Korngold" feel to some sections of the work.  It is a very high standard indeed~!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v86IrGT0ugk

Mark
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:52:24 AM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »
Thank you, Jay. Igualmente.

I'm a very slow worker.

Working on the second, slow, movement of my string quartet. Already made changes suggested by Michel and you to the first movement.

Finally updating an orchestral piece I first submitted here three years ago.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 11:40:24 AM »
Happy New Year To All.

I'm having a bit of a creative lull at this time. I have started some pieces but none are going anywhere.

I have several rewrites in the works (most particularly my 3rd & 4th Violin Sonatas and Bs.Cl. Concerto) which are going slowly as I can't seem to work up the energy or concentration to do much musically right now.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 08:34:50 AM »
composition-wise... well, a piano piece for a graded educational book, and a quintet for piano and strings.

right now I'm putting the final touches on a short trio movement for clarinet, violin and piano. it's not by best work, but at least I AM writing something.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Rex Potam

• My home page
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 11:07:58 AM »
Best wishes to all!
I still have work to do on my Requiem. I am currently gathering advice (here and elsewhere, including IRL) and I will work again on it during the year, with a complete third revision sometime after the summer holidays. That's the plan, anyway…

I also started a piano concerto. There are already a few videos on this topic on my YouTube channel, and a few more are ready for the upcoming weeks (the playlist, in French: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfuMojg7ZVS1qf8UpO05uoiAoREx6HZX1).

I hope (but have no plans) to also write short pieces (such as piano nocturnes) and maybe some songs.

Cheers,
Rex Potam
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:27:49 AM by Rex Potam »

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 08:42:59 PM »
Howdy, all!

I just finished cleaning up the final score and parts for my work Rhapsodie Capricieuse (for bass oboe and orchestra) and I'm just waiting until payday to send it off to the printer. The soloist is excited to play it; the trick will be finding the orchestra. I have at least two leads... but no orchestras are performing in my area right now due to the COVID virus—my state is one of the hardest hit. Patience is in order.

I'm 90% finished with a stand-alone work for low flutes (altos, basses, and contrabasses), inspired by a colleague who conducts a flute orchestra. I just have a ~32 bar jazz bass flute solo to write—which is a very slow process for me, as I am really not an improviser, and I'm too much of a perfectionist.

I have three works that are in the development stage:
  • A quintet for bassoons/contrabassoon—minimal work so far, other than the structure.
  • A work for oboe d'amore and orchestra. In limbo, other than the orchestration.
  • A work for chamber orchestra. I haven't determined if I want to approach it as a ballet or an opera—other than the orchestration, the only work has been figuring out the feel I want in the music. I also still have to figure out what the subject will be, which like the feel, will highly depend on if it's a ballet or opera.

...it's not by best work, but at least I AM writing something.
Being familiar with your previous works, Michel, I am certain it will be something beautiful even if you don't think it's your best.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies