Author Topic: Revising an old Work for MIDI Orchestra  (Read 162 times)

Gillespie

Revising an old Work for MIDI Orchestra
« on: November 09, 2020, 07:09:47 AM »
Since COVID hit, I've been revising and expanding a work from 2014.  However, you may not be interested in listening to it (which is ok):

a.  The work is not written for an orchestra, but for a MIDI orchestra.  In other words, many parts are near impossible to play by a humans, such as extreme register for lead trumpet, parts too fast for F. Horns, trombones.
b.  Score has not been cleaned up at all, but the parts are accurate.  It's ugly, but readable.
c.  Mix has not been completed and it will include unnatural volume balances (e.g., oboes and trumpets may have same ff levels).  Effects are being added: echos, compression.

If this type of submission is not appropriate for this forum, my apologies, and I will pull it.

Because my ears are tired of this work, I no longer trust myself to hear major problems and will gladly accept criticisms of any kind.  Also, if you have questions about my piece for your benefit, I would be happy to give it a go.

Technical Specs:  Finale 25, Garritan GPO5 and trumpets from JABB3: then exported to Reaper for MIDI CC editing, compression, mixing, and rendering.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xH_sk9B-vAmd3anyG1Gbz3jykvziFJ9B?usp=sharing

whitebark

Re: Revising an old Work for MIDI Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »
A very engaging piece with a strong, energetic flow.   I enjoyed the jazzy modern harmony,  colorful orchestration, and strong melodic material.
A professional level composition.  I think it could be performed with a live orchestra with some adjustments to the score.

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 01:15:25 PM »
The title "Rumblings" is a perfect fit for the work.

What motivated/prompted you to write the piece?

Did you have a particular inner picture/situation in your mind?   

What do you hope to communicate to the audience (if anything)?

Very cool~!

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 04:08:20 PM »
Clay,

That was a wild ride through a really weird landscape.

I can't say that I loved it exactly, but it grabbed me like a vise. I visualized all kinds of images while listening to it, some of them the kind I would be terrified to wake up to.

I felt the pulse not as rumblings, but as a relentless shimmer, which from time to time felt strangely out of phase.

It sounds completely synthesized, which makes me wonder, as has been discussed with you recently, about its effect with a natural sound set, even the low end Note Performer.

Thanks much for a unique experience.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Gillespie

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »
A very engaging piece with a strong, energetic flow.   I enjoyed the jazzy modern harmony,  colorful orchestration, and strong melodic material.
A professional level composition.  I think it could be performed with a live orchestra with some adjustments to the score.

Jay
Thanks, Jay.  I would have to really simplify the work to make it playable.  Since I'm a "nobody," I doubt if any orchestra would volunteer to give it a read-through, much less a performance. I'm quite happy to write for MIDI.

Gillespie

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 04:44:35 PM »
The title "Rumblings" is a perfect fit for the work.

What motivated/prompted you to write the piece?

Did you have a particular inner picture/situation in your mind?   

What do you hope to communicate to the audience (if anything)?

Very cool~!

Mark
Hi, Mark!
  I don't really have any situation in mind or any unique motivation for this piece. Music is just a lot of fun to write and record.  Way more fun than when I was in school--no software, no MIDI: just pen and manuscript paper.  It hurts just remembering the hours I spent writing out individual parts in preparation for a first rehearsal.

Gillespie

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 04:52:30 PM »
Clay,

That was a wild ride through a really weird landscape.

I can't say that I loved it exactly, but it grabbed me like a vise. I visualized all kinds of images while listening to it, some of them the kind I would be terrified to wake up to.

I felt the pulse not as rumblings, but as a relentless shimmer, which from time to time felt strangely out of phase.

It sounds completely synthesized, which makes me wonder, as has been discussed with you recently, about its effect with a natural sound set, even the low end Note Performer.

Thanks much for a unique experience.

Cheers,
Jer
Thanks for giving it a listen.  The Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 is fairly good, but it's not completely natural sounding.  The legato strings are the weakest link in my opinion.  However, with some MIDI tweaking and audio normalizing, I was able to get the legato passable. Believe it or not, in Reaper, I advanced the string parts by 20 to 40 milliseconds to improve their synchronizing with the WWs and Brass.   I do like the various articulations in GPO5:  e.g., spiccato, marcato, martele, sul tasto, col legno.  The very last 4 bars show case a few of them: give that another listen if you like.  If I had the $$$ I would love to get the Spitfire string libraries, but they are quite expensive for a hobbyist like me.

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 07:27:49 PM »
Understandable.

Thatís why some of us keep annoyingly promoting Note Performer, which is amazingly inexpensive.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 05:16:39 AM »
Interesting piece, it had a lot of drive to it. I liked the rhythmic interplay.

I would have liked to have had a contrasting B section with less motion, a bit calmer, a bit more expressive perhaps, which would have reenergized the drive to the end.

All in all, an enjoyable work.   
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Gillespie

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »
Interesting piece, it had a lot of drive to it. I liked the rhythmic interplay.

I would have liked to have had a contrasting B section with less motion, a bit calmer, a bit more expressive perhaps, which would have reenergized the drive to the end.

All in all, an enjoyable work.
Good suggestion! "a Constrasting B section."   I just went back and looked: only two calm sections: mm 128-141 and mm 342-365.  Less than 30 measures of calm out of 400+ measures.    I better combine this movement with something restful.