Author Topic: Hello  (Read 147 times)

Rex Potam

• My home page
Hello
« on: November 08, 2020, 12:20:55 PM »
Hello,

First of all, thank you for the registration.

My pen name is Rex Potam (no, this is not my real name). I am French, so please excuse my English…

I found the Compose Forums site address in a book I am currently reading, A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer: A wealth of advice, tips, strategies, and examples by Arthur J. Michaels.

Even though I am not very young, I started composing only a few years ago, so I guess I am still "junior" :-)

I don't have any degree or formal education in music, but I have been singing in a choir for thirty years. I stopped in 1995 for professional reasons — but I found my own way in music by starting composing.

I started by a few songs but now I feel more like composing "serious" music. I have written a few nocturnes, two fantasies, and one organ concerto. I am currently writing a Requiem and just started a piano concerto too. All during pastime because I work in something else entirely.

You can check out my work on my own web site (mostly in French, sorry, I still need to flesh out the English part) here: https://rex-potam.cadrian.net

I also have YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6OJkrtylE8RtGv39SiVv4w

Looking forward having great discussions with seasoned composers!

Cheers to all,

Rex Potam

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »
Hello "Rex,"

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry, I don't speak French. But one or two other people here do.

Your writing in English is excellent.

You'll find that Arthur Michaels, writer of the book you mentioned, is a regular contributor here.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 04:27:31 PM »
Welcome,

Interesting music .......................

Please remember to post scores with your music files. 

Admin

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 05:30:54 PM »
Welcome to Compose Forums  :)

Jay

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »
Welcome.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
Hello, Rex Potam! Welcome to the forum, and thank you for buying my book! I hope you're getting a lot out of it. This forum is a good place to get beneficial feedback on your work.

Art

Rex Potam

• My home page
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 11:09:41 PM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Arthur, yeah, I am reading your book and it is indeed interesting. Too early to see all the benefits of course, but at least this forum is a good starting point ;-)

Admin, thanks for the reminder. My primary material is scores. I use software to write it (NoteWorthy Composer). I consider my interpretations as demos at best (mostly computer-generated, from the scores, except sung parts of course). Except for the covers, the scores are always available on my site (CC-BY-SA).

Rex Potam

sandalwood

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 01:07:58 AM »
Welcome :)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 11:23:45 PM »
If you are going to post music here, you an attach a PDF file of the score directly to your post.
Only forum members have access to this type of file, guests viewing the forum do not.
After a certain time these files also get automatically deleted from the forum so they are not permanently archived on the forum.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"