Author Topic: Finale Memory Management  (Read 177 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Finale Memory Management
« on: October 16, 2020, 09:38:56 AM »
Hi all /// I just encountered problem with an large orchestra work.  It seems after a while the program is taking forever to make changes in the score.  I never had this problem before; the only difference is that I resurrected an old 2012 Finale score to work on.

I still have plenty of room on my hard drive.  Is there anyway to set Finale to use more memory and speed up the disk to memory transfer speed here?

Or is something else in the works I am not aware of?

I just checked my cpu usage and memory usage and disk writing ........ initially nothing seems amiss; however, I did see the cpu usage go way up at times?

Mark

Okay this is how I solved the problem.   I created a new score in Finale and pasted the old score in .... no problems.  The importing of the 2012 score I believe caused the problem.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:16:06 AM by mjf1947 »

whitebark

Re: Finale Memory Management
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 10:44:50 AM »
Time to get a new computer  ;)

another possibility is to buy more RAM.

I'm can't answer Finale questions since I'm not a user of that program.  Musescore, at least the older versions, got horribly slow with large scores. Good luck solving the problem.

jay

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
Re: Finale Memory Management
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 02:21:48 PM »
Okay this is how I solved the problem.   I created a new score in Finale and pasted the old score in .... no problems.  The importing of the 2012 score I believe caused the problem.
Mark,

In my experience with Finale over the past 30 years I've found that it often doesn't treat old files kindly.

I've had many problems with corruption when opening old files.

Sometimes what works is exporting the file as MusicXML and then reopening it. But I've used your solution, too, although sometimes that hasn't worked and I've just had to re-create the score.

Glad you got it solved.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave