Author Topic: Fun with computers  (Read 125 times)

whitebark

Fun with computers
« on: October 09, 2020, 08:38:41 PM »
 Well, I noticed that the price had come down on the big, shiny ultra high definition (UHD) monitors with a 28" diagonal screen. As you all know bigger is better when it comes to screens used for composing music. I just had to have one!  So I rushed down to Best Buy and picked up a 28" UHD Samsung model. Upon arriving at home, I quickly unboxed my new toy and plugged it into my aging Mac Mini. 

Well, the new display looked great but I had a problem.  It only was showing the old 1080P  resolution, and no setting seem to be available to increase it on the Mac Mini. It became clear that the mini did not have enough video memory to support the UHD display.  Of course, you know what happened next...time for a new computer $$$$$.  The nearby Apple retailer had just one Mini in stock - of course it was the top end one (more $$$$).  Well, this is what credit cards were made for.

I returned home with my shiny new Mac Mini running Catalina OS, and plugged in the new monitor. It looked fantastic with the UHD resolution.  There was just one more problem (actually  many problems). The big upgrade in operating system broke just about every program and driver software I had on the computer. Most annoying was the fact that no programs were making sound - not a good thing in composition software. After much downloading of updated programs and one trip back to the apple store, I eventually got most things to work.  Except Sibelius, which stubbornly continued to not output sound  as well refuse to  export MP3 and other sound files. Just great!  :'(   A quick scramble through the Sibelius forums showed that there is a known bug that causes this problem. Can't those jokers at AVID software fix this? - it has been around awhile.

The Sibelius forum offered one clumsy workaround for my problem.  The fix is to create a fresh new user account on the Mac Mini and run Sibelius there. In this pristine environment, presumably free of program conflicts, oddball settings, and such,  Sibelius may operate correctly.   I tried it - and glory be it worked!

Now that I've gotten past most of the upgrade aggravation, I'm starting to enjoy the sharpness of the monitor and the speed boost from the expensive new Mini.  And the credit card bill won't be due till next month...

Cheers,
Jay
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:14:45 PM by whitebark »

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
Re: Fun with computers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 09:09:10 AM »
This story brought back the fear, trembling, and woe I endured three years ago when I switched from a Windows environment to a Mac environment.  :o Glad you're up and running!

My next big adventure will be to upgrade my Asus RT-AC68U router.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:10:57 AM by gogreen »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
Chilling horror story, Jay, morphing into a happy ending.

I was a longtime Mac Mini fan, until a lightning strike a few years ago came through the internet cable and fried both my Mini and monitor.

Since then I've been using a 27-inch iMac, which is just superb.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »
Those 27" IMacs with the UHD Retina display are a glorious sight.  A good choice for music composition. I was tempted to get one, except for the price.

Jay