Author Topic: oboe Bassoon  (Read 265 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
oboe Bassoon
« on: September 14, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »
Hi all,

Just pulled out a work from 12 years ago and poke around a bit.

Here's the initial results.

Comments welcome ......................

Mark

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
Re: oboe Bassoon
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:44:37 PM »
That was a lovely diversion, Mark. I liked the playful "conversation" between the two instruments. It reminded me of the tuba-computer "conversation" near the end of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." The F naturals in the oboe measure 12 threw me, though--Started to sound Middle Eastern out of nowhere. In general, the lack of noticeable 4- and 8-measure phrases made the piece seem disjointed, and a wider range of dynamics would breathe more life into the piece. A work from 12 years ago--I'd definitely rework something like this. I've done that with works that were considerably older than 12 years.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 07:09:58 AM »
Art,

That's for the review.

The measure (12) has been redone.  I had a similar measure in the bassoon line which I removed first.

I definitely will put some time into this piece.

Mark

amdg

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:21:30 AM »
Another delight, Mark.  It does indeed remind me of "Close Encounters" -- the part that I really enjoy!  That's an interesting musical language you've got going on in it; and the piece strikes me as belonging in the middle of a somewhat larger work.  Perhaps then you might be interested in exploring the higher register of the bassoon -- on first glance, the instrument seems to stay in the low to middle registers.  I'm certainly not an expert on the blending of the double-reed colors, so maybe the high bassoon notes won't work so well with the oboe?  Just asking.

All in all, another treasure from the mjf1947 vault.
Brian

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 08:48:32 AM »
amdg has an interesting idea, Mark. You might experiment in a rewrite of this piece to add sections in which the oboe and bassoon both play in their higher registers together, and perhaps in which the oboe plays in the lower register while the bassoon plays in its upper register.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »
Another delight, Mark.  It does indeed remind me of "Close Encounters" -- the part that I really enjoy!  That's an interesting musical language you've got going on in it; and the piece strikes me as belonging in the middle of a somewhat larger work.  Perhaps then you might be interested in exploring the higher register of the bassoon -- on first glance, the instrument seems to stay in the low to middle registers.  I'm certainly not an expert on the blending of the double-reed colors, so maybe the high bassoon notes won't work so well with the oboe?  Just asking.

All in all, another treasure from the mjf1947 vault.
Brian

The bassoon upper register is lovely and will work well with the Oboe.

Mark

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 03:28:19 PM »
A great little piece with lots of possibilities.

Now that it's too late (since you've rewritten measure 12) ... .  Another possibility could to to put more rather than less of it in the piece.  I think the augmented 2nd has an exotic, but very pleasant sound.   

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »
A great little piece with lots of possibilities.

Now that it's too late (since you've rewritten measure 12) ... .  Another possibility could to to put more rather than less of it in the piece.  I think the augmented 2nd has an exotic, but very pleasant sound.

No problem I can always rewrite it again~!  :o

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
Colloquy for Oboe and Bassoon
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
Hi all ..... Here's a major update.

Besides the regular tweaks, additions, deletions etc .... I have incorporated a whole new mid-section.

The mid-section a is a reworking of some other/older previously composed thematic materials.

So I await your feedback.

Mark
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:22:28 AM by mjf1947 »

amdg

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »
Mark,
I'm really enjoying watching this piece develop.  The expansion works quite well, I think.  The whole piece is full of life, with the new middle section complementing the already existing material in a pleasing way.  The two lines intertwine very well, and it is a delight to listen to it.  A live performance should be a real treat for an audience.

Brian

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 10:28:13 AM »
Brain thanks for following this thread.  I feel good knowing there are forum members that enjoy my work.

Here's another update.  Most of the changes ... some editing and tweaks in the med-section to create a more cohesion theme.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 01:10:47 PM »
Mark,

You are never going to run out of steam.

Another charming work.

As always, witty and rhythmically complex. I especially like the way you disguised the beat in the 6/4 and 12/8 sections. A real attention getter.

Very nice use of staccato vs legato.

Cheers,
Jer

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:48:24 AM by mjf1947 »
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »
Jer,

As always thank for the review and encouraging comments.

I'm not going to post this minor update .... I edited the reiteration of the first theme when it repeats at the end.  The full theme was a bit ponderous the second time around.  The edited version is a bit leaner and better fit.

Mark