Author Topic: Directed Roll Notation In Finale  (Read 82 times)

RJB54

Directed Roll Notation In Finale
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:33:43 PM »
Does anyone know how you get a directed roll (a roll will the up or down arrow at the end) in Finale?

I don't see such an articulation in either the Maestro or Engrave fonts.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Directed Roll Notation In Finale
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 05:26:38 PM »
This is what I found ..............................

Choose the Articulation tool . If you haven’t yet placed the marking in the score, click the chord to be rolled. When the Articulation Selection dialog box appears, click the rolled chord marking and click Edit, and then skip to step 4.
Click the rolled chord. A square handle appears at the top and bottom of the marking.
Double-click a handle. The Artciulation Designer dialog box appears.
Choose Playback Effect > Change Attack. Enter 0 as the Top Note Value, and –256 as the Bottom Note Value. The Top Note Value and Bottom Note Value define how the chord is rolled. The units are 1024ths of a quarter note; thus, a negative Bottom Note Value tells Finale to strike the bottom note slightly before the beat during playback. The attacks of any chord notes between the top and bottom notes are scaled proportionally between the Top Note Value and Bottom Note Value, producing a true rolled chord sound. (You may also wish to select Values Are Percentages, which lets you enter percentages into these text boxes; 100% would equal the value of whatever note the marking is attached to.)

If you want the chord rolled from top to bottom, enter the negative number as the Top Note Value, and zero as the Bottom Note Value. (If you enter zero as the Bottom Note Value and a positive Top Note Value, the upper chord notes will be struck late—in other words, the chord roll will begin on the beat.)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 06:29:36 PM »
there are arp. symbols in one of the font sets with arrows, they come in different sizes.
however, I don't think they have playback of any sort.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »
@mjf1947, thanks for the detailed info, I wasn't aware of the negative numbers giving you the sound of a roll down, that will be helpful in the future.

However, what I was talking about was the symbol actually placed in the score. I see the standard roll symbol, but not the roll with arrow symbol. It's not present in either the Maestro or Engraver fonts.

@Michel, since you indicated that they were in some font, I looked further in other fonts and found the symbols in question in the EngraverTextH font. Why a symbol is in a font labeled as 'Text' is beyond me.

Thanks all
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »
To make a down roll for playback ...

You duplicate the normal roll symbol and replace the dupe with a new symbol. The dupe maintains all the playback options of the original. Just change the plain wavy line in the dupe to a down arrow line.

Click on any note with the Articulation Tool.
Select the wavy line, symbol no. 31, and choose Duplicate.
Select the duplicate and apply it to a note in the score.
In the score double click on the symbol's handle to bring up the Articulation Designer.
At the top right, click on Set Font and Choose Engraver Text H. Click OK.
Back in the Articulation Designer, at top left be sure Character is selected, and click on Main.
Select the down arrow desired and click Select.
Back in the Articulation Designer change the Top note value to a negative number and the Bottom note value to zero.

The only downside is that the new symbol is a fixed length. If you lengthen it you get not a longer line but a series of arrowheads, and if you shorten it, it disappears. It will play the whole chord regardless of its length, but visually it may not fit the chord.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 03:25:58 PM »
Jerry, thanks for the info.
Frank Zappa