Author Topic: The Cruise Line Dream - For Concert Band  (Read 309 times)

JoshuaAI

• Create the Music, Live the Dream!
    • Joshua A. Idio Portfolio Website
The Cruise Line Dream - For Concert Band
« on: August 27, 2020, 09:59:04 PM »
This is one of my earliest compositions, from a time when I was just dabbing in serious writing. The Cruise Line Dream, Grade 5 Concert Band (or at least I think so, let me know what you think), approximately 7:30 minutes. I've done many revisions on this piece and I'm going to fix the very last page in the near future.
I have an exciting opportunity which is why I'm sharing this piece now. In collaboration with the ...And We Were Heard Initiative, this piece is going to be premiered and recorded by the Westchester Symphonic Winds, an award-winning wind ensemble in Tarrytown NY. The start of the collab had to be delayed because of the Covid-19 pandemic, but hopefully we'll be starting this very soon!

Sorry I couldn't provide a clearer score. Since this is already published, I didn't feel safe to provide a non-watermarked score here yet. I hope you understand. But let me know what you think! Comments are always appreciated!

Link to Score: https://www.jwpepper.com/The-Cruise-Line-Dream/11200057.item#.X0iNbBRITEQ.link
Create the Music, Live the Dream!

~ Joshua A. Idio

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
Re: The Cruise Line Dream - For Concert Band
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 08:25:48 AM »
Joshua,

Your instrumental scoring is exciting. Like the previous piece you posted, it feels like film music to me, but it would certainly rouse a concert audience.

Some funky cacophony happens to the harmony towards the end, which I don't understand.

I'm not sure that I feel the specific sense of a cruise ship, although the music does suggest a journey. The description says "romance and relaxation," but I hear adventure rather than what I would normally associate with those attributes.

A question: Is it normal in band writing to give each instrument its own staff on the conductor's score? Not combining groups of instruments on common staves makes for a page too large even on my big computer screen and each staff too small to easily follow the score.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

JoshuaAI

• Create the Music, Live the Dream!
    • Joshua A. Idio Portfolio Website
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
Joshua,

Your instrumental scoring is exciting. Like the previous piece you posted, it feels like film music to me, but it would certainly rouse a concert audience.

Some funky cacophony happens to the harmony towards the end, which I don't understand.

I'm not sure that I feel the specific sense of a cruise ship, although the music does suggest a journey. The description says "romance and relaxation," but I hear adventure rather than what I would normally associate with those attributes.

A question: Is it normal in band writing to give each instrument its own staff on the conductor's score? Not combining groups of instruments on common staves makes for a page too large even on my big computer screen and each staff too small to easily follow the score.

Cheers,
Jer

Thank you for the comments! To answer your question, every composer writes their instrumentation differently. I myself found it easier to write and read in separate staves so that's just how I wrote it. When purchasing the music, I made sure that the paper will be at least A3 paper size so theoretically it should be fine.
Create the Music, Live the Dream!

~ Joshua A. Idio

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:14:08 AM »

Joshua,

I like this piece. Nice tonal colours.

I must agree with Jerry that I too hear adventure.

How nice that you will get it premiered and recorded.

Please post a link to the recording when itís done.

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 26
DAW: Cubase 10
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 02:21:36 PM »
Joshua: Very nice. Pleasant harmonies, great melodic lines. The best music not only sounds great, of course, but it's also fun to play for the musicians. This piece seems like that. A couple of constructive ideas:

I think you could increase sales of this work by cleaning up the score considerably. Not sure if I'm seeing the complete picture from the Pepper preview materials, but I suggest re-spacing the staffs to let the score "breathe" more. There are way too many measures on some pages! In addition, combining some of the staffs to allow the score to be enlarged would also make it more pleasing to the eye. I think reworking the score this way will greatly influence director interest and, therefore, sales. You could keep the one staff, one instrument score for generating parts, if that's a concern.

I agree with Jer--the music suggests a journey, but it doesn't feel like a cruise ship.

I think the piece is too long. You have some really nice sections in there with limited development, but overall the piece seems to jump from one motif to another without adequate transition and, later on, cohesiveness.

I agree that it's a Grade 5.

Hope these ideas help!

Art

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 03:50:22 PM »
I agree with Jer, as well:it feels like film music to me, too and I believe it would rouse audiences. I'm thinking some melodically powerful passages like for instance in the opening or closing of Jupiter by Holst would make it even more exciting. I appreciate the remarkable craftsmanship and work that has gone into a work of this duration with such a large ensemble. Congratulations for its being programmed for performance. I hope it is followed by many more performances of your works!