Author Topic: Waltz Pasquinade  (Read 682 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Waltz Pasquinade
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »

I rarely have images in mind when I compose and often don't even consciously have a mood in mind. 

When I compose I most often do have an image or theme in my mind.  8)

Very rarely is one of my composition just "music"!  :o

Mark

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »

Patrick, this is very nice. Playful and nice orchestration.  :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 26
DAW: Cubase 10
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »
I've made a few small changes and updated the files pointed to in the initial post.  I think I'm close to calling this complete.

Of course, I've uploaded 3 changes since writing the above comment.  Anything to keep from score clean-up.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:30:55 PM by Patrick O'Keefe »

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 03:16:10 PM »
I've started working on score preparation even though composition is not complete.  Feedback would be appreciated ... and dreaded.  (Don't bother telling me that the "Program Notes" section is a bit sparse.  I'll think of something eventually.)  I think the piece is straightforward enough that I don't need any comments for the performers.

In the list of instruments, what do I call the string instrument?  "Cello"?  "'Cello"?  "Violincello"?

Several of the past versions may have been in concert pitch.  I'll try to remember to upload only transposing scores from now on.

The latest version is a bit faster than previous versions.  I put an indication of dotted-half=72 instead of the quarter=208 I had before.  Hopefully that indicates a single beat per measure rather than 3 beats.  (I saw somewhere that a fast waltz is counted in one rather than three.)   Most scores I looked at weren't a help; they had tempo markings of "tempo di valse" or some such.  I guess that doesn't matter much in the chamber ensemble with no conductor.  My teacher/tutor/mentor could find nothing definitively helpful (but he liked the faster tempo).

Next I'm going to work on the too abrupt ending.

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 07:33:27 AM »
Patrick,

I assumed that the Program Notes were in invisible ink.

I have nothing to add to my previous comments. I wasn't aware of the difference in tempo. I love the piece.

When I hear chamber works like this I always wish I played something more than just a little piano. In this case, cello.

I like "violoncello" because it abbreviates nicely to "vc." Ditto "double bass" to "db."

Cheers,
Jer

P.S. I'm lousy at transposing at sight and welcome scores in concert pitch.
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 02:18:15 PM »
I've renamed the piece "Rustic Waltz", changed the end a bit, used visible ink when writing the program notes, and made a few compositional tweaks here and there.  I'm sticking with Violincello / Vc. in the actual score, but I'm going with "Cello" in the list of instruments.  (I saw that recommended somewhere on the web, and I always give extra weight to a recommendation for what I want to do in the first place.  :) )

The next time I have a comment to make about this piece, I think I'll make it in the "Completed Works" section.  I've still got some score cleanup to do (and I make some small changes every time I look at the piece), but I think I'm essentially done.

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 05:36:34 PM »
Patrick,

Respectfully, please change the "i" to an "o" for "violoncello" before you publish the score.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 05:41:16 PM »
Respectfully, please change the "i" to an "o" for "violoncello" before you publish the score.
As near as I can tell, that misspelling was just in my comment in this forum, not in the score.  Do you see it in the score somewhere?  I'll certainly change it if I can find it.

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 02:39:35 PM »
Patrick,

No, I didn't see it in the score. Being a busybody, just in case.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2020, 03:24:42 PM »
No, I didn't see it in the score.
Whew!  All the spelling in the score is software-generated.  I'm not sure what I would have done to fix it.  :)