Author Topic: Dances_On_The_Moon  (Read 576 times)

RJB54

Dances_On_The_Moon
« on: July 18, 2020, 06:28:09 PM »
I would like to present Dances on the Moon (for String Quartet).

Score = https://app.box.com/s/j6xg5famenh3cbmwwn1jntpdylwcapij
Audio = https://app.box.com/s/dm8t3fzdfoxo98ibu421ronwbwk488os

This piece is sort of related to my recently posted Night Moods. That piece was the most conservative, almost diatonic, piece I've written in a long time and it was very enjoyable to write. That being the case, I decided it might be equally fun to write something much more avante-garde than anything I've written in a long time and the result was this piece.

This piece couldn't be too avante-garde since the Garritan sounds don't properly support all traditional string techniques (such as jete, sul ponticello, etc.) much less truly avante-garde techniques (such playing behind the bridge and so on).

I'm sure its not to most people's taste here, but it was fun to write and I do enjoy this type of piece from time to time.

Aside from a couple of spots where a given instrument presents a complete row (and therefore creating something close to a melody), there are no real themes or development, just small cells and gestures.

Anyway, I hope some find it interesting at least.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Timothy01

Re: Dances_On_The_Moon
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 11:36:47 PM »
I suppose 'unearthly' is the right word for this, in a purely positive sense. I certainly enjoyed it, though I must say it didn't quite make me want to dance. It's interesting the way you've used all the instruments' ranges close together in sections, resulting in a sense of mystery. I would be interested to know how you created the 'fluttering' effects.

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »
I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you could point out a bar or two I could answer.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
Stylistically definitely not my cup of tea, but I applaud your going to places where I would not go. Why the title "Dances on the moon"? Is this programmatic?

Art

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 07:28:53 PM »
+1 for what Art said and I share his question, too. Applaud the prolificity, as well. :)

RJB54

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »
Thanks, to both.

I couldn't see giving the piece a type name (String Quartet, Meditation, etc.)  so I had to give it a word name. "Dances On The Moon" I thought fitted the sonic environment of the piece and the imagery of the astronauts moving around in slow motion on the moon's surface. 
Frank Zappa

Timothy01

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 09:49:43 PM »
I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you could point out a bar or two I could answer.
I was referring to, for instance, the first ten bars. On listening again, I realize it's simply the digitally-produced vibrato.

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 07:38:16 AM »
OK
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »
Robert,

I love it.

The effects you use, the variety, the harmonies it all works.

Engrossing.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 05:13:40 PM »
Jerry, thanks.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 07:56:22 AM »
Robert,

I gave the work a second listen ..... I needed a bit of time to engage the work.

Dances on the Moon is a good title ..... although, I felt the music had a more sinister quality to it.

For me it's akin to a Theremin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=937LBjbkL6M) in it tonal fabric/texture.  So for me --- its a great soundtrack for a SciFi and/or Film Noir  movie.

You do indeed create a wonderful soundscape.

Mark

PS: After listening to more theremin music on YouTube.... I think I am going to buy one for those long Covid-19 winter days.  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:12:50 AM by mjf1947 »

RJB54

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 08:18:28 PM »
Mark, thanks.

Yes, pieces using some contemporary techniques can very much sound like horror movie music because they sound very different from common practice. A classic example is the music for the movie The Shining which is comprised of mostly, if not completely, music by 20th Century composers like Bartok.
Frank Zappa

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
An interesting work.  It's not in line with my interests or preferences so I can't comment on it much, but it's certainly evocative.

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »
Mark, thanks.

Yes, pieces using some contemporary techniques can very much sound like horror movie music because they sound very different from common practice. A classic example is the music for the movie The Shining which is comprised of mostly, if not completely, music by 20th Century composers like Bartok.

Good point. Your post made me think of the music of Ligeti used in Kubrick's 2001.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave