Author Topic: Trio - revisited  (Read 98 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Trio - revisited
« on: July 29, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »
Hi everyone ... I decided to some more work on a trio I composed a while back.   I haven't shared it with my mentor as yet.

So as I sit hear with a summer cold  :P ... I thought it would be a pleasant diversion for me.

It's an uncomplicated small work.  Perfect for my state of mind.

All comments etc..............most welcome.

Mark

https://app.box.com/s/ho7s02rg54cr81psbaims11k4pitao4a  mp3
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:09:25 PM by mjf1947 »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Trio - revisited
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »
a quick remark on the harp part, the 2nd measure, 2nd beat: you have F - F , and D - D, immediately following each other.
in such a transparent texture that won't be the most idiomatic use of the instrument.
the harpist will have to pluck the same string twice in a row in rapid succession. remember that just touching the string will mute it fractionally, unlike on a piano where restriking a note doesn't have quite the same effect.

my suggestion would be to find different notes for the lower of those pairs. try to at least have one intervening note before asking the harpist to pluck the same string twice (unless it's at a slow tempo and the note is given enough time to resonate).

measure 42 in the harp, the right hand chords are far too large to be played comfortably. the general "widest interval" is a major 10th. (also remember that the pinky "5th finger", is not used in playing except in glissandi).

some of the doublestops in the violin part are probably going to give questionable results, particularly those that are open 5ths (always more difficult to render perfectly in tune) and those that cross from being larger than a 5th to smaller than a 5th. Always remember that the hand position must shift when you move from playing any interval (doublestop) larger than a 5th to one smaller than a 5th.

However! at measure 67, that's an excellent use of the open string A. Understand that the only notes that will be "fingered" will be the low F, then the higher D, and C. the open string will continue to play throughout. Well done.

At measure 7 in the violin, it will be difficult to go from spicatto/staccato on the 3 16th notes, to NOT staccato on that final 16th. My suggestion is make all the notes under that slur staccato, or move the slur so that it does not include the non-staccato final 16th. (the same figuration appears later in the piece)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:02:39 PM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 07:41:14 PM »
I enjoyed listening to this a lot! :)

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 04:19:47 AM »

Mark.

I just had time for a quick listen, but it was refreshing to listen to. I cannot comment on technical issues, but really a nice piece of music.  :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 26
DAW: Cubase 10
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 07:21:25 AM »
I enjoyed listening to this a lot! :)

I am pleased you enjoyed the work. 

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 07:22:55 AM »

Mark.

I just had time for a quick listen, but it was refreshing to listen to. I cannot comment on technical issues, but really a nice piece of music.  :)

Morten

Thank you so much .... It was interesting going back to it after 2 years plus ....... It enable me to enrich the work.

I recommend doing so for others too.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 07:24:07 AM »
Michel,

As always - Thanks for all the help!  ;D

I attended to all the issues.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »
Mark,

Delightfully fun, Mark.

Your varied and witty treatment of a repeated motif is constantly surprising.

The instruments go well together.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave