Author Topic: In the Wood Darkly - Quintet  (Read 228 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
In the Wood Darkly - Quintet
« on: July 27, 2020, 08:46:25 AM »
Hi,

I'm posting my In the Wood Darkly.

It's a quintet: Oboe. Clarinet, Violin. Viola and Bass.

Some of the Oboe part is in the upper register; however, with a skilled player - it is quite playable as written.

I chose this particular combination for its color and texture.

Mark

Timothy01

Re: In the Wood Darkly - Quintet
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 05:07:44 AM »
It is an interesting combination. I liked this piece a lot. I find the continual interplay between all of the instruments a little bit confusing to listen to though. But maybe that's what it would feel like to be lost in a dark wood.

Nice work!

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 05:56:21 AM »
Charming, Mark. I found some of the rhythms and phrases you used only once or so distracting. Same with awkward leaps in some of the parts. The glissando at measure 45 in the violin part seems out of place. I'd probably keep the notes but remove the gliss. The ending, from about page 11, meandered for me. The piece lacks dynamic variety--mostly mf and mp throughout, except for the very end. Seems there's a lot of room here for more expressiveness.

I like the instruments you chose. I think you brought out their colors and textures well, as you mentioned. And the imitative motifs were pleasant and catchy. Programmatically, the piece seemed more like a woodland morning to me than night ("darkly?").

Overall, very nice!

Art

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 07:50:08 AM »
Charming, Mark. I found some of the rhythms and phrases you used only once or so distracting. Same with awkward leaps in some of the parts. The glissando at measure 45 in the violin part seems out of place. I'd probably keep the notes but remove the gliss. The ending, from about page 11, meandered for me. The piece lacks dynamic variety--mostly mf and mp throughout, except for the very end. Seems there's a lot of room here for more expressiveness.

I like the instruments you chose. I think you brought out their colors and textures well, as you mentioned. And the imitative motifs were pleasant and catchy. Programmatically, the piece seemed more like a woodland morning to me than night ("darkly?").

Overall, very nice!

Art

Art thanks for the  review ..... the ending is a bit of a conundrum for me.  I had other endings; however, they seemed a bit "cliche". 

As for the mood .... in my minds eye ... I see a bunch of mystical forest creatures "doing their thing".  So the darkly connects to the unusual neighborhood.

As for the gliss .... I had it in other places too ... I removed them and used chromatic scales instead.  They worked quite well.  So I understand your point.  I thought the gliss just would be "other worldly" and unexpected. 

And yes .... I need to improve the dynamics.   Sometimes you focus on the big things and neglect the needed nuance.

Art .... if you don't mind and have the time .... I would appreciate if you identified the measures you found the leaps etc .... to be awkward.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 07:52:35 AM »
It is an interesting combination. I liked this piece a lot. I find the continual interplay between all of the instruments a little bit confusing to listen to though. But maybe that's what it would feel like to be lost in a dark wood.

Nice work!

Tim thanks for the review ..... and yes there's a frenetic frolic going on!  It might be a party I would want to miss~!  :o

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »
Mark,

It's got some marvelous stuff in it. The motif is wonderful, and your permutations of it are effective. The unusual combination of instruments works well.

The texture got a bit thick about part-way through and I lost what was happening for a few bars.

At about bar 58 the repeats of the motif started to go on too many times with little change for me, but eventually you got into more variations.

I wonder if that motif could be stretched out in some places for more variety.

It's certainly catchy. I can't get the thing out of my head.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 02:14:56 PM »
Jer,

Thanks for your review .... I am so pleased you enjoyed the work.

Sometimes before I fall asleep the melodies of the work seep into my head~!

I will re-examine the section you pointed out. 

Mark

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 04:36:54 PM »
I would appreciate if you identified the measures you found the leaps etc .... to be awkward.

All double bass staff, measures 28, 31, and 34.

Art

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 04:09:33 PM »
My, what an interesting work - both the instrumentation and the thematic and rhythmic material.  (I wish I'd written it.)

I agree with others that the glissando seemed a bit out of place, but for me, only because it happens just that once.  I don't know where you had it before, but I'd like to hear it a few other places.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »
the gliss at measure 45 is a bit awkward as well, the Gb is quite high on the D string. for it to be a real gliss it would have to be performed entirely on that string.
it could be faked by skipping from the A string to the D, but you'd hear the jump.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
Thanks ..... I decided to remove it and use a chromatic run instead ... similar to the ones before in the score.

I remember Gliss ... one string!

Mark