Author Topic: July, 2020: What is Composition to You?  (Read 302 times)

Timothy

July, 2020: What is Composition to You?
« on: July 08, 2020, 03:29:10 AM »
I thought it would be interesting to find out what role composition plays for each member of the forum. I know there are some who compose for a living, some might be hobbyists, and for others composition might be part of another musical career. So, why do you compose?
Timothy Duncan

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: July, 2020: What is Composition to You?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 07:15:41 AM »
Composition for me is an adjunct to my Oboe playing. 

I find a synergy between the two.  When I sit in the orchestra I have the luxury of hearing the different orchestration(s) in real time as well as the different sonorities within the performance.

So I consider myself an accomplished amateur oboist and a novice composer.  In both roles it is done for pleasure as well as for the hope of a performance. (It has happened).

I don't know if I could compose on demand. 

Mark

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 05:25:37 PM »
Composition for me is a way to exorcise the harmonies, rhythms, and melodies from my brain that would otherwise drive me completely crazy.

I could and would not compose for a living; it's too personal to me and I cannot separate myself from the art. I've taken exactly one paid commission and I hated every moment of it. I have gotten paid after the fact as a prize reward, but it was not the impetus for the composition itself.

I would classify myself primarily as a part-time professional musician (I perform concerts and have enough paid gigs to really mess up my taxes) and an experienced composer. I have a day job that keeps me comfortable (and insured) and I have the luxury of taking gigs when it suits my availability.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 06:43:08 PM »
It is a means of expressing/translating what remains etched from a lifetime exposure to a unique set of musical experiences. In that sense it is a means of knowing myself, perhaps.

I don't have a music related career or job.

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 02:24:58 PM »
Interesting question. For me, composing is a natural behavior, ever since I started composing at age 13. Ever since then, composing has seemed as natural as eating and sleeping. It's been something that I just do. Through good times and bad, music-related jobs or not, composing has always been there.

I think often about why I started composing, and what caused me to do so. I can't figure that out. Makes one think about cosmic forces, destiny, and other unfathomable thoughts.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
Once upon a time (the early 1970s) I was music director for a theatre company, where I wrote incidental music and music for songs that were used in plays. So I guess that made me for a while a "professional composer."

Since then I write for fun. It's satisfying to start from nothing and create something that sounds like music.

And as I'm a jazz pianist, every solo is a new composition.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 03:26:34 AM »
For me, composition is something of a hobby. But I like to think of it as a lot more. I hope one day that what I write will be sung and enjoyed in congregations, and that some of my other music might be performed. I don't know why I started composing at around 10 years old. At the time, I had received no formal instruction in music. I thought it might be interesting to share something I began about then and never finished. There's no need to say that there's everything wrong with it. But when I dug it up, I was pleasantly surprised that I like some of the ideas.
Timothy Duncan