Author Topic: String technique  (Read 755 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
String technique
« on: July 06, 2020, 12:54:13 PM »
Please review attached string measure.

What I want to achieve is a smooth detached legato phrase.  Will this articulation work?

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: String technique
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
well, "detached" and "legato" are contradictory. it can be one. or it can be the other. it can't be both.
what you have written will not give a "smooth legato", it will give notes that are ever so slightly detached one from the other and very lightly accented, played with a bit of emphasis on each note. like DUHhhh DUHhhhh DUHhhhh

part of the effect will depend on the tempo.
if it's a fast tempo, the distinction will be entirely lost, it's too fast for tenuto articulations.
if the tempo is slow then it will be more noticeable.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:09:51 PM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 05:32:39 AM »
Michel,

Then what would you recommend?  a slur with dots?  a slur alone?  a slur with two notes then four notes etc.?

This is a discussion I had with my mentor who although a conductor, is not a string player?  He is the one who asked me to post the question.

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 06:05:43 AM »
I found an example of what the tenuto markings sound like: (the rising triple a few seconds in to where I marked this off, like 19'22")
https://youtu.be/VYBQyOOED8k?t=1160

what effect exactly do you want?
it's very difficult to say because you started out describing two things that are in and of themselves contradictory.
how fast is the excerpt?
how fast will those 16th notes be?

a slur will make the 16ths VERY, well, slurred. it's a single bow stroke, the fingers alone give the note changes.

if you simply leave them unslurred, then each 16th note will receive a distinct separate bow. this can still be "legato" but will more than likely be played detached instead. again, tempo, dynamic, and context will decide.

a slur with staccato marks indicates a very specific intention (again, depending on the tempo).
if the run is fast, it will be played upbow, and will have the bow bounce on the string creating a very particular-sounding staccato. if the run is slow then it will be played in a single bow, but the bow will briefly stop at each note.

is the dynamic soft? loud?
is it a solo, or a sectional?
slow? fast?
is it meant to stick out as far as the articulation is concerned, or is this just a "slide" up to a more important element?

answer all of the above and we can probably find the best articulation for this particular excerpt.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 08:01:08 AM »
Michel thank you ...

I going to post the 99% finish version today.  I look forward to you comments of the viola part.

Mark