Author Topic: Summer Winds - Piano and Flute Duet  (Read 108 times)

francoisfj

Summer Winds - Piano and Flute Duet
« on: June 29, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »
Hello, I wanted to share this new piece I'm working on. As the title says, it's about impressions of summer winds and breezes, for flute and piano. I would say it's about one third of its length, and there would be a modified recap of the sections here at the end.

I have attached the sound file for the midi playback, and the score of the incomplete piece.

Opinions are very welcome.

François

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Summer Winds - Piano and Flute Duet
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:02:04 PM »
Lovely work ... with a interesting fluid piano accompaniment. 

I love the flute in the lower register; although, I see that you do not write in the upper range.  Why not extend the range to create a bit more contrast/color with the piano.

Also why not give the piano and flute some measures alone?  There by creating more interplay between the two instruments.

Mark

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:21:48 PM »
Very nice. I wished it could have gone on; looking forward to the rest. With the piano pedal markings, on a real piano the quick flowing notes would become blurry and 'mushy.' That might be the effect you were trying to create. But if not, you could pedal more often perhaps?
Timothy Duncan

francoisfj

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:51:37 AM »
Lovely work ... with a interesting fluid piano accompaniment. 

I love the flute in the lower register; although, I see that you do not write in the upper range.  Why not extend the range to create a bit more contrast/color with the piano.

Also why not give the piano and flute some measures alone?  There by creating more interplay between the two instruments.

Mark

Thanks for the feedback. Now that you say it, I do find it seriously lacks textural contrast. I'm going to try to rewrite parts of it.

francoisfj

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 04:54:43 AM »
Very nice. I wished it could have gone on; looking forward to the rest. With the piano pedal markings, on a real piano the quick flowing notes would become blurry and 'mushy.' That might be the effect you were trying to create. But if not, you could pedal more often perhaps?

Thanks for the comment. Okay, thanks for pointing that out, I'll have to try and see what it sounds like on a real piano. The pedal markings were added quickly so maybe it will be too blurry as you said.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:46 AM »
Lovely work, Francois. I agree with Mark about the flute range. As it stands, the flute part is more suited to alto flute than C flute. In measures 29 to the end, I like the effect of both instruments playing those 32nd-note runs, but perhaps you might add sections in which the piano continues that way and the flute plays a line with notes of longer duration, and vice versa. Also in those measures, the score could use some music spacing. Again, I like the effect of this piece.

Art

francoisfj

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 10:05:43 AM »
Lovely work, Francois. I agree with Mark about the flute range. As it stands, the flute part is more suited to alto flute than C flute. In measures 29 to the end, I like the effect of both instruments playing those 32nd-note runs, but perhaps you might add sections in which the piano continues that way and the flute plays a line with notes of longer duration, and vice versa. Also in those measures, the score could use some music spacing. Again, I like the effect of this piece.

Art

Thanks for your comment. I will have to extend the range of the flute in the coming sections, it's something I always have in mind but never get to find the time I want to do so.
I like your suggestion about longer melodic lines in the flute in the 32nd-note runs, I might try to do so.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 11:17:28 AM »
francoisfj,

I concur about the range. I miss the brilliant upper register of the flute.

Much of this doesn't feel to me like a duet, but like two strangers that are thrown together. I don't get the interplay, the challenge and response and the coming together that says that this is a couple.

I also don't feel any real direction in a good part of the 32nd note runs. They seem kind of arbitrary.

After what is a good start, I want to hear recognizable development of the original material.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

francoisfj

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 05:08:14 PM »
Hello,

I have worked on this in the past two days, trying to take in the suggestions. I will post the update in the hope of further feedback. The new sections start around measure 36, I have tried to write in different textures, use the higher pitches of the flute, and give each instrument its own time.

I appreciate the help,

François
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:42:20 AM by francoisfj »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 06:43:51 AM »
Hi,

The addition of the piano interlude is quite nice. 

I would like to comment on the thematic material in the flute.   Is this what you want .... a floating sound?

I think the piece could use a stronger recurrent motif.  At the moment you have a series of flute "scales" "arpeggios" "runs" etc. which are okay ..... however do not present a strong theme and development.  Why not include the motif in the piano part too.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 07:26:12 AM »
I agree with Mark about the piano interlude. It's good pianistic writing.

The beginning and the ending of the piece are much clearer than the middle.

In the middle sections, the piano is awfully busy doing its own thing, rather than encouraging and responding to the flute, although there are a couple of passages where they do mesh with some nice resonance.

I like the higher register of the flute at the end.

In general, I think that both the accompaniment and the interplay between the two instruments need more attention.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

francoisfj

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:53:20 AM »
Thank you both for the feedback. I will try more interplay between the two instruments in the coming sections.

Mark, I actually (tried to) use a recurrent motif, in the last section with the flute and the piano. It's the theme from the opening of the piece with the 'escalating' triplets, but on a calmer side. Though it is not present in the piano indeed, however in another version, I did include those same triplets (and the opening arpeggios) in the piano. I'll include a link if anybody wants to check it out, but I ended up choosing this other version because I felt it suits the piece better (though I'm still not sure).

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 12:34:04 PM »
Thank you both for the feedback. I will try more interplay between the two instruments in the coming sections.

Mark, I actually (tried to) use a recurrent motif, in the last section with the flute and the piano. It's the theme from the opening of the piece with the 'escalating' triplets, but on a calmer side. Though it is not present in the piano indeed, however in another version, I did include those same triplets (and the opening arpeggios) in the piano. I'll include a link if anybody wants to check it out, but I ended up choosing this other version because I felt it suits the piece better (though I'm still not sure).

Francois,

I listened and reviewed the score again.  I still feel the reiteration is not convincing enough.  Maybe a bit more variation on the theme in the opening and echoed in the piano would establish a stronger presence for the thematic material.

Mark

francoisfj

« Reply #13 on: Today at 05:53:51 AM »
[
Francois,

I listened and reviewed the score again.  I still feel the reiteration is not convincing enough.  Maybe a bit more variation on the theme in the opening and echoed in the piano would establish a stronger presence for the thematic material.

Mark

Okay, thanks for listening again. I'll be working on this piece for a while, I'll try to establish a theme for it.