Author Topic: "Amaterasu: conte fantastique en 6 tableaux" opus 39  (Read 224 times)

RJB54

Re: "Amaterasu: conte fantastique en 6 tableaux" opus 39
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 04:41:58 PM »
I'd pay good money to hear that!  ;D
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »
LOL, thanks.
I think I would as well!!

They just don't perform such large works anymore. Orchestras never have the budget for it.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
Yes, its a shame. There's something about such massed forces in the hands of a top notch orchestrator. For example, I still prefer Rimsky-Korsakov's version of Pictures At An Exhibition over Ravel's paired down version.   
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 07:42:03 PM »
oh, the same for me with Boris Godounov... I much prefer the Rimsky version to the original.

"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 12:28:02 AM »
On a somewhat unrelated side note: I'm gradually coming to think of Rimsky-Korsakov (and definitely not Glinka or Balakirev) as a crucially important nodal figure who played the key role initiating a historical development that made "Western" art music  immensely more capable of expanding its coverage of geographies and traditions.

RJB54

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:32:25 AM »
As an orchestrator he had a big influence. His orchestration book used to be considered THE definitive book on the subject. You can hear his influence all over early Stravinsky particularly The Rite Of Spring
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »
Yes, its a shame. There's something about such massed forces in the hands of a top notch orchestrator. For example, I still prefer Rimsky-Korsakov's version of Pictures At An Exhibition over Ravel's paired down version.

Wasn't the Rimsky version actually done by one of his pupils? Or is that a legend?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 11:49:23 AM »
Technically, Rimsky-Korsakov didn't orchestrate Pictures. While preparing a performance edition of the original piano version, he gave this to his student to orchestrate, who left out a number of movements. Rimsky-Korsakov then re-orchestrated a few of these himself, as an after-the-fact correction.

Supposedly, the Tushmalov (student of Rimsky-Korsakov) version is much closer to the orchestral palette of Mussorgsky.

Wasn't the Rimsky version actually done by one of his pupils? Or is that a legend?

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:39:01 PM by Michel.R.E »

RJB54

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 12:31:44 PM »
OK, I didn't know that. I always thought Pictures was Rimsky-Korsakov because that's how it was always identified.
Frank Zappa