Author Topic: MuseScore 4 in development!  (Read 106 times)

Timothy

MuseScore 4 in development!
« on: June 22, 2020, 08:15:05 AM »
For those of us for whom free programs are the closest we will come to composition software, I hear MuseScore is developing version 4.0. They say they are "moving from notation software to composition software." I find this quite exciting. Finale, Sibelius, etc. may be out of the price range of many for a while, but there is hope that free substitutes will one day catch up. You can find out about the project here:

https://musescore.org/en/MuseScore4
Timothy Duncan

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: MuseScore 4 in development!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 03:06:42 PM »
as a student you get a discount on Finale.
you may as well take advantage of it.
if you intend on pursuing studies leading toward more serious composition then you need more professional software.
MuseScore is lovely as a freeware program, but it simply cannot do what the other big 3 can.

As far as I know, Dorico is the only one that does not offer an educational discount at this time.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 09:41:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice Michel.

It seems the 99$ price only applies to U.S. college students. I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the $350 discount may apply. I'll keep my eyes open. It will quite likely be necessary to switch sometime in the near future.
Timothy Duncan

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 11:13:35 PM »
there is always a student discount regardless of whether you are in the United States or not.
I got my first version of Finale while I was doing my bachelor's degree, in Canada, and did get a student discount.
You can check music shops wherever you live, they usually have the "educational discount" available directly there, and they usually handle the paperwork (you need to provide proof that you are a legitimate student at a recognized educational establishment).
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:36 AM »
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm not studying at a college or university. While I do strive to get better at composition, really it's not much more than a hobby.
Timothy Duncan

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 07:07:02 AM »
To be honest, I wasn't totally convinced at first that I needed the change. But MuseScore seemed to rub it in when for the first time today it corrupted one of my files :(. I'll be looking at Finale as soon as I can.
Timothy Duncan

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 07:46:58 AM »
To be honest, I wasn't totally convinced at first that I needed the change. But MuseScore seemed to rub it in when for the first time today it corrupted one of my files :(. I'll be looking at Finale as soon as I can.

You won't be disappointed.  I originally bought Finale 20 years ago for my daughter.

I took over the license.   If you buy the software you will have it for a lifetime.

And more importantly you will be able to grow as a composer with it.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 09:29:31 AM »
Tim,

If you have a Windows computer you might consider Finale Printmusic. It has fewer features than the main Finale program, but it only costs $119, as opposed to $600.

As an introduction to a Finale-type interface, you can get a free basic program, Finale Notepad, again only for Windows.

https://www.finalemusic.com/products/

Just a sidenote: Finale is loads cheaper than it used to be. In 1989, I think it was, I paid $800 for Finale version 1. That would be $1600 in today's money.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 11:39:14 PM »
Thanks Jerry.

Unfortunately I run Linux, but perhaps WINE will work. I'll explore those options.
Timothy Duncan