Author Topic: Duet Viola Piano  (Read 869 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Duet Viola Piano
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 11:28:32 AM »
Art,

Thanks for review.

The 9/8 is my mind is a kind to a medieval dance. So I'll see what I can do with it.

The previously section is of course out of place.  Just another idea I jotted down for it appeal to be used here or there.

I took your suggestion and I changed the Bb to an A in the bass clef.

As for an overall plan .... I want to create an overall sound texture/fabric among he sections which communicates a single "emotional" idea/story.

Mark

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:36:49 PM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 02:59:58 PM »
Mark,

You've made the piano part easier for us small-handed persons. I also like that you’ve simplified it, although it still seems a bit fussy to me. Block chords in some places maybe?

In bar 15 the LH 16ths on C-D clash with the RH D. Is that deliberate? It sounds like a mistake.

The 9/8 section is pretty nice, but with the viola and piano playing together as they are I think the D drone just adds clutter.

I wonder the call and response sections could use a stronger RH on the piano, perhaps in octaves.

The piece is progressing.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »
Jerry,

I fixed the error in Bar 15.  I'll review the piano part again with my mentor.

Art,

In the 9/8 section I split the open D string in the Viola and gave it also to the piano.  It is less raucous. 

I like both themes ... let's see (if it works) how I can develop them into the initial tonal/programmatic  concept.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:39:27 PM by mjf1947 »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 09:57:17 AM »
I just had a meeting with my mentor.  Putting some finishing touches on "The Homing Coming" and I will post the finished version soon.

Furthermore I was challenged to do some interesting things with the Viola and Piano Duet.   Hope to share soon.

Mark

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »
Mark.

Interesting start and development. Definitely something to keep working on.

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 26
DAW: Cubase 10
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »
So for those that follow my progress.  Here's an updated version.

I improved the piano accompaniment .... simplifying the piano line as well as making it more supportive of the Viola. 

I also integrated the 2nd theme into the initial opening theme. 

Please note I kept the 9/8 dance ... you will hear it at the end.

Now the work is NOT completely sketched out. 

I still have to develop and integrate the 9/8 dance.

Now I usually have a story/picture in my head when I create a new piece.  In this instance I do not have one.

I am composing interesting morsels  ... to saunter away a lazy afternoon.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »
Mark,

The dialogue between viola and piano is spectacular. I particularly like your using the same phrasing to alternate the two echoing each other with the two playing in unison.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »
Mark,

The dialogue between viola and piano is spectacular. I particularly like your using the same phrasing to alternate the two echoing each other with the two playing in unison.

Cheers,
Jer

Jer,

Thank you for listening ..... and I pleased you enjoyed the improvements in the work

I completed the first full draft which I attached.  I still have to discuss it with my mentor next week.

You will notice changes here and there ... however, a major change in the 9/8 section.

Mark

PS:  I updated the files 6/2  .....  better transitions and a new ending.

All suggestions/comments/advice etc ..... welcome~!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:24:26 AM by mjf1947 »

RJB54

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »
Mark, I have listened to the most recent version.

I generally like the basic material and what you are doing with it. However, I find the accompaniment to be a bit four-square and 'samey'. You have nice syncopated figures in the viola and you could liven up the piano part by including some syncopation there as well. You could also add some arpeggiated figures as there is also a lot of 'block chord' work in the piano.

I think changing up the piano part in this manner would give the music a bit more energy.

All in all a nice piece, though. Keep working on it. 
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 07:16:47 PM »
Mark, I have listened to the most recent version.

I generally like the basic material and what you are doing with it. However, I find the accompaniment to be a bit four-square and 'samey'. You have nice syncopated figures in the viola and you could liven up the piano part by including some syncopation there as well. You could also add some arpeggiated figures as there is also a lot of 'block chord' work in the piano.

I think changing up the piano part in this manner would give the music a bit more energy.

All in all a nice piece, though. Keep working on it.

Thanks for the review.

I definitely will review the work with your suggestions in mind.

Are you referring to the entire work or the 9/8 section?

I still haven't met with my mentor on the new update as yet.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 06:29:08 AM »
I was referring to the 4/4 parts. The 9/8 section has a pretty good flow.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »
Mark,

After listening, I found that Robert already said what I wanted to say: The syncopations in the viola might benefit from more of the same in the piano, a kind of skipping rhythm maybe, and perhaps more percussive on the off beats.

I don't know exactly what you changed, but it gets better and better.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
Well I just had my mentoring session; and behold, he wondered why I made so many changes  :P.... ask me to go back to some original ideas.  :o 

Will post again at a later date.

Mark

PS: the one good thing is this ... although he felt some of the changes didn't fit well in the overall current work; we both agreed that those changes are really good and will be incorporated (my idea) in another ensemble ... a woodwind quintet?  at a later date.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »
Hi all,

I presenting my latest version of the Viola Piano Duet.

I plan to meet with my mentor sometime this week to discuss this version.

The work is still under construction.  So all comments/advice/suggestions ... "you know the drill" are welcome for consideration.

I removed the 9/8 section;  The work now has an ABA format.

My object here is to provide a smoother experience for the listener with less false stops and a more continuous line as well as to vary the material.

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2020, 12:52:49 PM »
I'm bothered by one aspect of the piano part.
it has a very busy right hand, with lots of 16 note runs.
and the left hand is very heavy, with lots of low-lying chords, and still rather busy.
I was hoping for some respite from that texture.

I'd heartily recommend lightening the left hand accompaniment part, and even the right hand part.
As it stands, they are both so busy that they tend to drown out the viola part.

for the viola, watch out for runs that include cross-string leaps, I noticed one spot with a rising 16th note phrase that suddenly leaps to continue 16th notes descending.

it's one of the aspects I wanted to cover in the little composition guide I started posting.
be consistent with the sort of melodic movement.
if you have leaps, make sure to USE them, not have them appear once never to be heard from again.
it's sort of the equivalent of a character showing up in a movie, delivering a single impactful line, then disappearing for the rest of the film.

So if you have that rising/descending/leap motif, USE it. it's hard to play, and as such, will deserve to have the violist demonstrate that they can do it more than once.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"