Author Topic: Suite in 9/8 "In the Wood Darkly"  (Read 191 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Suite in 9/8 "In the Wood Darkly"
« on: July 01, 2020, 08:45:04 AM »
Hi everyone...........

I am finishing up my duet for Viola and Piano which I will post at the end of the week.

I decided to wait on the Majestic Fanfare since something else caught my attention.

I took the original 9/8 section in the Viola/Piano work out and repurposed it in this new work.

This is my new idea .... just putting it out there.  Still haven't decided on the orchestration as yet; although you can see where I am going.

All words most welcome.  So here is my idea for "In the Wood Darkly".

Mark

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:59:51 AM by mjf1947 »

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
Re: Suite in 9/8 "In the Wood Darkly"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 10:39:30 AM »
Mark: It's hard to comment on such a small, incomplete snippet. I see lots of promise here and room for development, but I think this is a little "undercooked" for presentation here.

The beginning has a playful, almost eerie, feel. That dotted quarter note in the flute part measure 10 sounds like a wrong note, and the flz. seems out of place. The pizzicato section at measure 13 adds a pleasant change. The string parts seem a bit ho-hum. Sounds like only accompaniment for the winds. Why solo violin and violin? And it's unclear where you're going with all this. Are you headed for an orchestra score? A wind quintet with orchestral accompaniment? Some other mid-sized ensemble?

Art

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 10:59:12 AM »
Art,

Thanks for the review.  The idea behind the Flute trills etc.... are to be "bird like".  I'll check that note ..... I am trying for an eerie effect.

And you are right in that I haven't decided upon the orchestration.  So it's an idea to be developed.  The solo violin is placed on a separate line  as per Michel's suggestion in another post.

I think my final objective will be a quintet with string(s)?  At the moment I have 1/2 strings sections selected in the score manager.  I played about with the idea of quintet with bass fiddle.  Or other combinations. 

I trying for a particular tonal fabric.  This is what comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DNs4U6bkU&t=1230s ....

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 12:31:12 PM »
I agree with Art: lots of promise and room for development.   :)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
Mark,

Some really nice lively ideas there, not yet tweaked or arranged in a real structure.

I like your playing around with the orchestration. You seem to have grown much more confident in ensemble writing.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 07:02:23 PM »
Jer and all,

Did you check out the Youtube video?

It's one of  my favorites ......

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »
Mark,

Yes, that's a great piece. So varied and witty.

I listened to it some time ago, actually, when I was searching for possible instrumental combinations to emulate.

I can see how it's influenced you.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 10:26:53 AM »
Okay for those willing to take the journey with me (everyone knows - I like to post along the way) I have decided upon the orchestration for the work: A quintet ....Oboe, Clarinet, Violin, Viola, and bass.

So I am posting a snippet of my work .... of course it is  very incomplete in totality; however it should give you some idea of what's going on in my mind.  My next challenge is transitioning to a mid-section.

I meet via Zoom with my mentor tomorrow.

All comments much appreciated. 

Mark

https://app.box.com/s/13gl6kgc8z1p6ixuju1x1y0tcny7ooe6     mp3

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:49:34 AM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »
mark,

I love the thematic figure, the rhythmic time slips, the modulation, the harmonies, and the pizz. section in the strings.

I feel that the theme repeats too literally with little variation. I was expecting a counter melody.

When they all come in towards the end they sweep everything up with a satisfying whoosh.

Nice material to work with.

Cheers,
Jer

Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 08:14:02 PM »
mark,

I love the thematic figure, the rhythmic time slips, the modulation, the harmonies, and the pizz. section in the strings.

I feel that the theme repeats too literally with little variation. I was expecting a counter melody.

When they all come in towards the end they sweep everything up with a satisfying whoosh.

Nice material to work with.

Cheers,
Jer

Jer I need a bit of clarification here.  Are you saying it works because it comes together at the end or/and there needs to more variation?

I am open to all points since this is a  basic presentation at this time.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 10:47:10 AM »
Mark,

I meant the thing about the end metaphorically.

I like the way you go from the more sparse voicing of the main section into a grand entry of everyone in a full-bodied ... swoosh.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave