Author Topic: Song Cycle (cello & piano)  (Read 2112 times)

janx

Re: Song Cycle (cello & piano)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
Hello, all!

Sorry to be such a stranger lately... I haven't had much time to compose or visit the forum, but I'm going to spend the next few weeks in music, hopefully churn out this song cycle for cello and piano.

This is the first movement of five. Haven't thought of a name yet... the inspiration was the rise and fall of empires. This movement represents the first stage: assimilation, acquisition, regionalization (something like that—depends on your source), so I tried to make it feel "disjointed," as if the themes slowly merge together. The harmony is constructed from "a mode of limited transposition"—it's symmetrical and there is no real sense of key, but still quite beautiful, in my opinion.

I recorded this live (keyboard rendition of the cello), so I apologize for the timing issues. I think you'll still be able to get a good feel for how it should sound. Please, let me know what works/doesn't work for you in this piece. Thanks in advance!

Jordan

Sounds good Tónskáld. I was impressed with the cello sample (you said keyboard). What did you use?

EDIT -  you already posted it's Spitfire Audio :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:52:55 AM by janx »

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 08:26:51 PM »
Sorry to be so late to the discussion.  I don't have much to add that hasn't been said.  I don't find the stories that go with programmatic music helpful and didn't try finding any association with empires.  As others have said, the pieces seem well crafted.  As Jerry commented, more contrast would have been useful.

The following comment relate more to my personal taste rather than anything in the composition.
The only parts that grabbed me emotionally were the opening of the 1st movement and most of the last movement.  For whatever reason, parts of the last movement felt like a love song to me ... nothing related to decaying empires.  :) 

RJB54

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 08:27:26 AM »
Excellent work!

I liked the harmonic language, the melodies flowed well, and the general tone was very expressive.

I liked the little touches between the movements (such as how they opened in a similar way).

You have a lot of engraving issues though, particularly, there are lots of collisions (especially with slurs), unneeded cautionary accidentials, and stem lengths and flag placement.

All in all a very good piece of work!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 01:57:18 AM »
I only came across this now. I listened to the first movement, and am quite impressed. I particularly liked the interplay and imitation between the cello and piano from bar 19, and again towards the end.
Timothy Duncan

gogreen

• A Practical Guide to Becoming a Composer
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 05:46:35 AM »
I listened to the first movement. Sorry to come to this so late. I agree with others--haunting and beautiful. What struck me, what I liked, was the variety in the cello part and the light piano part. Also, I liked the dynamic and note ranges. I hate to call the piano part "accompaniment," because I think both instruments were equal partners. Lovely!

Art