Author Topic: Clarinet Cello - The Home Coming  (Read 446 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Clarinet Cello - The Home Coming
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:46:15 AM »
Okay ..... Here's the beginning of my new project which I began this morning.

Yes.....as the title suggests - it's another theme based idea.

So I have 2 themes to get me started.

What do you think?  Encouragement always welcome as well as those helpful suggestions.

It's in it's infancy ...... looking forward to developing it (I think it might make a nice piece for full orchestration?) if it works out well..

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Clarinet Cello - The Home Coming
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 02:53:44 PM »
Here's a quick update with a new mid-section.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
Mark,

You're a Minuteman. As I was getting ready to comment you posted a second version.

It's a nice sketch. I like the syncopated rhythms, as always, and the contrast between the 4/8 and 3/8 sections. Your usual expected wit shines through. It would be fun to play (if only I could).

The 9/8 section puzzled me, as it begins with a radical new idea but kind of peters out.

A couple of suggestions, optional of course:

When the cello takes over the legato melody at bar 9 the strong staccato of the clarinet obscures the fact that the melody has traded off. I wonder if the clarinet would background better as legato, or at least a quieter dynamic.

A couple of places you tied two Ds in the clarinet, but the playback separates them as two notes. It's impossible to tell if they were meant to be slurs rather than ties, so I would imagine that a player seeing them would play them as one note.

The double stops on the cello are good. They have a rich sound that effectively fills in the harmony.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:30 PM »
For those interested in this thread ...... here's the latest version.  Some small additions here and there ..... and now the first draft (?) is now complete.

There is a small interlude in the mid section.  It might seem out of character; however, in the stream of consciousness it is a momentary bit of uncertainty in the midst of joy.

Any how .... all suggestions most welcome as always.

My intention is always to paint a scene/tell a story.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:28:59 PM by mjf1947 »

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »
I'm following this to see how it will develop. I'm not sure I could really comprehend all that's going on. Section starting 0:35 sounds to me a promising one. On the other hand I could not wrap my head around the opening theme. As soon as the clarinet goes staccato , I hear it like repeats/passagework not introducing new material.

Would you think of bringing the cello closer? Relative to the clarinet I hear it like a cello section playing in the background.

Have I already said I really admire your prolificity? :)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:19:24 AM »
I'm following this to see how it will develop. I'm not sure I could really comprehend all that's going on. Section starting 0:35 sounds to me a promising one. On the other hand I could not wrap my head around the opening theme. As soon as the clarinet goes staccato , I hear it like repeats/passagework not introducing new material.

Would you think of bringing the cello closer? Relative to the clarinet I hear it like a cello section playing in the background.

Have I already said I really admire your prolificity? :)

Hi,

Thanks for the review as always.  I not sure yet where I want to take this; however, here are some of my thoughts:

The introduction of the clarinet line .... in my mind ...... is the anticipation/movement of the event/meeting coming forward ..... while the lyrical mid-section is the promise of intimacy and the engagement.   It's more of a movie/scene conception; a series of vignettes. 

At this junction though .... it's a moment(s) in time.  Nothing more .... nothing less.

If I do expand the work and develop the different thematic ideas ..... I would have to expand to a much larger ensemble which I am not oppose to.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 11:34:53 AM »
OKAY!!!   I'm going for it.  :o

I going to orchestrate and develop the thematic material in "The Home Coming".

I already played with it a bit ... and I must say there is definitely potential here.

So if I don't post new material in a while ... you know I am in deep with it - with my new project.

Wish me a good journey~!  8)

Mark

PS: You are still welcome to comment on the duet.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:36:30 AM by mjf1947 »

sandalwood

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »
Mark, I think the mid section has the right kind of germ for expanding to a very moody section and don't mind my not -yet- grasping your intent in the opening :). Look forward to hearing what you'll do with this.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 06:18:30 AM »
Mark,

¡Buen viaje, amigo!

Saludos,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator