Author Topic: Zoom Conference  (Read 251 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Zoom Conference
« on: March 25, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »
If people are feeling isolated during this coronavirus pandemic - we can set up a Compose Forums Zoom conference to discuss various topics.

Right now I am housebound except for trips to the pharmacy, grocery store and bank.  And the daily walks around the neighborhood.

Any takers here?

We would have to set up a time .... I know our members are scattered around the world!

Mark

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Re: Zoom Conference
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »
It could be really interesting, especially if someone was willing to screen-share so we could all simultaneously hear a piece and comment. This could really be an awesome innovation that jump-starts all sorts of new activity.

Bonus: we'll learn what people really look like! There are some of you out there who I picture as a typing avatar rather than a "real person"  ;)  (Including you, Mark!)
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
Here's an idea for discussion: We cam talk about the instruments we play ... ... to help with orchestration issues.  As well as actual orchestra playing strengths and weaknesses and combinations.

Mark

AO

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:52:14 PM »
Yes, we could set-up listening parties. give a toast, and discuss.

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »
This could be an interesting new feature of the site, but since we're all over the world, in many time zones, getting a time to do it that works.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »
Well, if the time of the Zoom conference was Noon E.S.T. in Europe it would be 5 or 6 and on the west coast 9 AM.  In Thailand Midnight etc.

I think we could find a common time for most forum users.

The trick is to find a discussion topic that is accessible/interesting for all.

Suggestions?  It should be light and friendly.

Mark

AO

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 06:04:32 PM »
Hi everyone, I have lately been using Zoom to give my guitar lessons. It definitely leaves much to be desired but it's working. The main problem I find, is the audio only works one way, in other words, two people can't be talking (or playing, in my case) at the same time. I think this is true for all the face time type of apps.
I think it would be nice to get together with you guys and have some kind of meeting/discussion, if only just to get to know each other.
My classical guitar society usually has a performance party once a month and this month we are going to try a Zoom meeting. Unfortunately, the live audio really sucks on  Zoom , so we are going to try the feature on Zoom called 'share desktop' to play prerecorded videos of our members playing, this will happen April 19th, I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 07:46:16 PM »
Okay - if you are interested in a Compose Forum Zoom meeting - please let me know.  If we get sufficient numbers I'll set up the time, date, and take topics for discussion.

I'll limit the meeting to 10 as a maximum and to 7 as a minimum.

Mark

PS: I taking my Oboe lessons on Zoom now as well as my composition mentoring.

AO

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »
Ok, count me in, I'm on the East coast, but any time is good, I'm not going anywhere for a while.