Author Topic: New girl on the block!!  (Read 603 times)

SallyS

• “Without music, life would be a mistake”
New girl on the block!!
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:21:21 AM »
Hi. Just a quick note to introduce myself. I studied composition at the Royal Northern College of Music, in Manchester, England in the 1980's.... !! After a lifetime of somehow ignoring my passion for writing music, I now find myself in a situation where I can devote the rest of my life to it. It's not that I haven't composed since college. I have. And in fact took a year out of my teaching career to try writing for an editing company that created corporate videos and documentaries. Won't bore you with the details as to why that failed... but since then I've written sporadically... but life and the need to earn money always got in the way. But as I say... I'm now in a space where I can compose without pressure!! Being a pencil and manuscript paper composer I am now trying to learn how to use technology to help me (although in the past I made use of an Amstrad computer and c-Lab Notator Logic!!) I've just started with Sibelius and Logic Pro X... and hope to master both programmes as soon as possible so I can then have 'recordings' of all my compositions throughout my life!! I am looking towards writing film/ TV music.... but I also write a lot of choral music. I love all forms of music... Was even in a punk band at one stage!!!!... ended up singing jazz more recently.... but my greatest love is 'serious' music (hate the term really!!) .... and tend to prefer anything from the 20th century through to present day. So that's me!!! Looking forward to discussions!!!

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: New girl on the block!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:21:12 AM »
Welcome Sally .... It's pleasure to have you participate on the forum.

I look forward to your postings and discussion. 

Please jump right in~!

Mark

SallyS

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »
Thanks Mark. Will do!! :)

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »
Welcome :)

Reha

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
Welcome!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

EdSharpe

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 09:19:15 PM »
Greetings and welcome.  Happy to see another Sibelius user.  I might be mistaken, but I have always gotten the impression that most users on the forum use Finale. 

EWS 

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 05:14:59 AM »
Bienvenidos Sally,

Sounds like a wide range of interests. It’ll be interesting to hear your work, as well as read your feedback to others’.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

SallyS

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 08:13:04 AM »
Thanks for your welcomes. I'm pleased someone else is using Sibelius... Yes I'd picked up too that most were using Finale. I'm just getting to know the forum site...so might not interact a lot to begin with, but I have been listening to lots of your recommendations for different composers.... there are so many wonderful composers out there... and it's so good to read all about your thoughts and deliberations, and to feel in touch with like minded people. So pleased I found you all!!! :)

saltamontes

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 12:11:37 AM »
Welcome, Sally.  Interesting bio and not too different from my own regarding composition.

Saludos de Panamá.....
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 08:52:36 AM »
welcome to the forum Sally.
regardless of whether you use Finale, Sibelius, Dorico, or other, the most welcome format is a PDF of anything you post.
recordings help a great deal, when possible, even if synthetic (most of us don't have easy access to a real symphony orchestra to make demos  ;)  .)
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 08:07:09 AM »

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 26
DAW: Cubase 10
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician