Author Topic: Composition Topic of the Month  (Read 527 times)

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
Composition Topic of the Month
« on: March 15, 2020, 12:01:01 PM »
Sandalwood (Reha) has been providing us with excellent questions each month for nearly two and a half years, but has decided to step down from this responsibility. On behalf of the group I would like to thank him for this enormous contribution.

Now the question is what we would like to do with this section of the forum. Response seems to have waned a little in the last couple of months but overall this feature has been quite popular.

So, do we want to continue with this section of the forum? If so, how do we want to manage the posting of the monthly question? I'm concerned that if we don't put some structure around this and just leave it open for any member to post a question on or around the first of each month, we will have months where no one posts a question, and if that happens more than a couple of times the feature will probably just fade away.

I can think of a few options:

• Someone steps up and takes Reha's place.
  • We compile a list of volunteers who will take turns providing a question.
  • We have members submit questions to the Admins and every month Mark or I pick one and post it, crediting the submitter.

I'm sure there are other possibilities and I'd really like to see forum members weigh in on this. So how does everyone feel about the monthly question? Shall we carry on? And if so, how?

Thanks,

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual