Author Topic: Note Performer / Finale Wind Slurs  (Read 50 times)

Jerry Engelbach

Note Performer / Finale Wind Slurs
« on: March 15, 2020, 10:31:17 AM »
When I start a new wind part in NP with slurred notes, and the tempo is above 190 bpm, the slurs in the first measure don't work.

Here's is AW's explanation:

Right. There are unfortunately a range of quirks with how Finale handles MIDI, related to the extensions we do to Finale.

When you support multiple articulations at the same time, like we do, some of the articulation switches on the first beat of the score will be delayed, and not activated until after the first beat of the score. This isn't normally a problem, but I'm assuming that's what's happening here. Simply put, Finale isn't sending the legato switch until after the note has started, and there's no easy way to fix that other than adding an empty bar at the start.

So the actual bug is in Finale, but it's triggered by NotePerformer, and we can't avoid doing it because it would cripple our playback of the rest of your score.
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Note Performer / Finale Wind Slurs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:06:01 PM »
This is why I've always made a specific playback file and another print file.

When faced with this type of glitch (which was common in earlier versions of Finale when using GPO), I always added an empty measure at the beginning of my score.

Sometimes a single beat was enough (though the tempo you describe, it probably wouldn't be), so I'd have a 5/4 measure and display as 4/4, with a single beat at the beginning using a hidden rest. I wasn't ideal for spacing, so I still usually ended up making two separate files.

Besides, it always sounded better with each individual player on its own channel and staff.

And my print scores very seldom used individual staves for each instrument (I always prefer to consolidate in a standard fashion. It's more work but the end result is professional-looking.)
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »
Sorry about the late response.

Thanks. I too use separate scores.

For playback, workarounds if needed, eliminated in the print score.

However, this particular glitch was surprising. I hope Finale can get itself together to better accommodate NP3.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 02:27:24 PM »
This is why I've always made a specific playback file and another print file.

For myself, I use three files, a playback file, what I call the figured bass file (although it doesn't actually contain figured bass), and the print file.

I compose into the play file. The way I work (with the tone rows and related pitch collections) I embed a lot of text throughout the play file indentifying every pitch in the composition as to which row or interpolation the pitch belongs. When I'm done composing the piece, I copy the play file into the figured bass file (which includes all of the pitch identification info which is why I call it the figured bass file). I do the engraving in the figured bass file. When that's completed the figured bass file gets copied into the score file and I remove all of the pitch identification text which makes the score file ready for printing.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa