Author Topic: Symphony #3 - WIP  (Read 441 times)

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
Symphony #3 - WIP
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been working on this for awhile now, and finally have the first movement mostly done: Symphony #3 mp3 file

Not a lot of work on the other movements yet, and I'm not really sure how it's all going to fit together. Just all part of my very messy process.

It's been a long time since I've undertaken something this large, so I'd really appreciate any feedback and comments. Written score is still a long ways off.

Thanks!

Jamie

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Symphony #3 - WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 09:39:37 AM »
Jamie a very intriguing work ....it has a Leonard Bernstein "feel".   The orchestration ... very "Jazzy" and full of color with lots quirky rhythms .  I look forward to how this movement flows/fits with the other movements you have in mind.

Is it possible to see the score?

Is there a particular mindset .... that led you in this direction?

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »
Wow! Wonderful! I guess it can't get any leaner. To me it evokes a feeling of sublime while remaining highly accessible.

Even rudiments of a score would be of help to understand more.

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:25:45 PM »
A lean score, to be sure...so lean that it stretches to the breaking point the definition of a "symphony", in which one expects a certain length and weightiness.   Despite the breaking of expectations, I really enjoyed the sly, sneaking, and jazzy atmosphere creating by the music.  Its sparse orchestration is brilliant.  I can't wait to hear the other movements!

I don't know what sound library and software that you are using to render the score, but whatever it is,  I probably can't afford it :)

Jay

amdg

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 06:29:15 AM »
Jamie:

This so far is a fascinating ride.  And quite captivating, as well!  I, too, will be eager to see the whole of this symphony when put together. Are there going to be a standard 4 movements?  Or something entirely different?  Whatever you have in mind will be a real treat, I'm sure.

Thanks for posting this piece.
Brian

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 07:14:34 AM »
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the comments.

Regarding seeing the score, I haven't started any engraving on it yet and I'll share it as soon as soon as I can. I always compose in a sequencer, and I only start writing out the score once it's mostly complete. I do tend to make some improvements after I've started the score writing, so there's some back and forth in the writing process. I'm still in the sequencer phase of this movement, but I'm getting very close.

Jamie a very intriguing work ....it has a Leonard Bernstein "feel".   The orchestration ... very "Jazzy" and full of color with lots quirky rhythms.

Thank you. I've always used quirky rhythms, but this movement has more lopsided meters than I usually use. Lots of 5/4 and 5/8, and many changes throughout.

I look forward to how this movement flows/fits with the other movements you have in mind.

I'm curious about how it will fit with the other movements too! At this point I only have a vague idea about what the other movements are about. I'm not a big planner, and tend to let pieces grow organically from germs of ideas instead of having a master blueprint. It's not efficient, but that's just how my brain works.

Is there a particular mindset .... that led you in this direction?

Not really. I'm just happy to be writing again. :)

Wow! Wonderful! I guess it can't get any leaner. To me it evokes a feeling of sublime while remaining highly accessible.

Thank you! I wasn't thinking of this as particularly lean, but I guess I do tend to use doublings sparingly if that's what you mean. The harmonies are sometimes dense and heavy, so I guess that's a counterbalance to that.

A lean score, to be sure...so lean that it stretches to the breaking point the definition of a "symphony", in which one expects a certain length and weightiness.   Despite the breaking of expectations, I really enjoyed the sly, sneaking, and jazzy atmosphere creating by the music.  Its sparse orchestration is brilliant.  I can't wait to hear the other movements!

Thank you, Jay! I think the definition of a symphony has been broken wide open for a good 75 years or more at this point. So far as the final length goes, it's hard to say at the moment. I'm shooting for probably a 20 minute work. That's much shorter than most symphonies of course, but compared to my second symphony, it's massive. The second was called "A Brief Symphony," was scored for 13 instruments, and clocked in at under 9 minutes!

I don't know what sound library and software that you are using to render the score, but whatever it is,  I probably can't afford it :)

I've been slowly building my library for years, so that's helped with costs. There's still some stuff out that I have my eye on, of course.

This so far is a fascinating ride.  And quite captivating, as well!  I, too, will be eager to see the whole of this symphony when put together. Are there going to be a standard 4 movements?

Thanks, Brian!

There will be three movements for sure, with the possibility of a fourth, depending on how the material ends up playing out for me.

SallyS

• “Without music, life would be a mistake”
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 01:12:05 PM »
I love your ideas.... each little motif is very clever. I love the rhythms, the emptiness at times... and your use of instruments. I'd love to know more about how you work. Using the words of others ... I find your work very quirky and intriguing... And strangely accessible. Are you dead set on this being a symphony? I think with development this could be a 'stand alone' piece..... But I do think that you have enough material in it to split it in to three. Like the others I'd love to see the 'dots' to be able to really analyse it.... but for instance.... the first 30 seconds could be developed further.... Repeated more but with development.. Developing that one little idea into probably 60 seconds worth of music. Then each idea coming after that just feels like it needs extending....building up more and more in intensity and movement... probably getting higher... morphing in to something really frenetic. At around 1:22 secs it feels like it could be the end of a section. I could imagine that you could make that first section in to a 4 minute section without any problems. You have such lovely ideas... I just want to hear them again and again... and again!! By the way... These are only my musings and I don't mind if you totally disagree with me!😀

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 11:58:55 PM »
Note: I just uploaded a brand new version after a large overhaul, adding better transitions and some much tighter orchestration. If you gave this a listen prior to 3/28, I think this is big improvement. I think the writing is now complete. I may go ahead and engrave this for sharing before I get too deep in the other movements.

I love your ideas.... each little motif is very clever. I love the rhythms, the emptiness at times... and your use of instruments.

Hi Sally! Sorry I missed this comment, and thank you so much for your kind words.

I'd love to know more about how you work. Using the words of others ... I find your work very quirky and intriguing... And strangely accessible.

Without getting too wordy, my process is pretty messy. I typically sketch quickly, then refine over and over, until nothing of the original idea remains. I write using a sequencer and a "piano roll" view, which I find quite natural. It makes me think about harmony and orchestration in a very different way.

Are you dead set on this being a symphony?

That's the current plan, but I go where my music leads me, so you never know.

These are only my musings and I don't mind if you totally disagree with me!

Thank you so much for your musings! I am grateful for feedback of any kind.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:00:42 AM by jamie kowalski »

williamhu

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 07:13:08 AM »
Very characterful and fun! Definitely brightened my mood. Makes me think of a particularly zany episode of Tom and Jerry. You can hear each tiptoe, each dash, each jump, each fateful prank!

I definitely don't mind this as an opening movement to a symphony. Sure, it's a little sparse and less harmonically structured than what I'd typically expect, but I think this does a fine job as an introduction into a musical world and could work perfectly depending on where the other movements take us - super excited to see where those go so that I can view this as part of a complete whole!

sandalwood

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
I totally agree one hears  a West Side Story vibe in the piece. Also that it is possible to hear  elements of  the Thriller, Action and Noir.

Risking sounding gibberish,  I tend to get from this piece, actually from much of Kowalski's music, glimpses of something harder to describe: I feel it's akin to Ravel's La Valse being not a waltz but a musical treatise on the viennaise waltz. I remember having said on another work of his that I hear it as "music about music". It evokes in me the feeling that some second order derivative taking, some extra distillation is involved, so  we get brandy and not the wine we expected to be served. Not the real thing but a distanced personal commentary on it. Like a metaphorical hard-limiter has rolled off  the familiar/conventional stuff  leaving  delicious silences and islets of  altered "music" in between. Told you how I would sound, haven't I?