Author Topic: Demographics  (Read 671 times)

saltamontes

Demographics
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:44:41 AM »
Greetings from warm, tropical Panamá.  I'm inside for a nice agua de pipa (fresh coconut juice) and check to see what you all are up to.  Then, back to the garden to harvest leeks for an outstanding dinner tonight (my Serbian wife is preparing another chef d'oeuvre). 

I'm curious about the instrumental demographics of this group (in terms of primary instrument).  Mostly keyboards?  Are there any guitarists (other than myself), double bass, hurdy gurdy  ;), trumpet players?  I hope this question isn't inappropriate, just a means of me getting to know the compose forum proletariat better....

Peace, friends
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

RJB54

Re: Demographics
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
I am primarily a woodwind player who can (or least in my younger days could) pretend to play some piano.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »
I was a guitar player, trained as a jazz guy but mostly did pop gigs of various genres, but I haven’t touched one in many years now. I played the drums in my youth (and wasn’t bad for a self-taught teen)  and dabbled in a number of other instruments over the years - flute, soprano sax, bass, clarinet - but was never serious about any of them or in any way accomplished. At one point I had some very rudimentary piano skills, but those days are long gone now too. I guess now I play the mouse and keyboard.
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »
Oboe with very basic piano.

Mark

amdg

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 07:29:18 PM »
I play the piano -- have since I was about 12.  I played clarinet in school bands, but haven't touched one in close to 45 years. 

Brian

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:14:34 AM »
"Finale composer" here! Though I have a midi keyboard and use it to invent/develop melodies/motifs, no real playing skills!

Reha

whitebark

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 10:53:33 AM »
Double Bass player here.  I've been playing with school orchestras and amateur groups since I was 12 years old.

Jay

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »

I started playing euphonium at the age of 11 in a local school wind band. Moved on to community/ amateur bands where I eventually converted to Bassoon.

Wind band/ brass band is where my heart is.   :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 26
DAW: Cubase 10
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

EdSharpe

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 11:35:58 PM »
Trumpet

BillReed

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 06:42:16 AM »
I've payed the piano on and off over the years, but started taking lessons again a few years ago.

I also still have the flute I played in HS and College.
Finale 25, Notion 6, Overture 5, Cubase8.5
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
August Forster 190

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 02:03:42 PM »
Late to the game: Way too busy with getting my house ready to sell and looking to build a retirement house. Fun stuff, but it keeps me off the forum.

Saxophone. I own tenor, bass, alto, and soprano, and I listed in order of frequency in playing them.

Have also played bass clarinet, and took piano lessons from ages 9-13ish.  Current piano skills are minimal.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 10:32:41 AM »
Jazz piano since the age of 15.

Soprano and tenor recorders, though not recently.

Trumpet for a couple of years, but never developed much proficiency.

Bass guitar for a couple of years.

Owned drums as a sideline, but rarely played gigs.
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave