Author Topic: pARADE oF tHE vAGABONDS  (Read 1596 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: pARADE oF tHE vAGABONDS
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »
Jer .....yes I am little by little integrating the motif.  Did you noticed the Adagio section is the "March" at the slower tempo?

I would very much like to integrate/combine all the interesting thematic/rhythmic motifs in the final resolution of the work.  Let's see what I can do.

Step by step .... a bit over whelming.

I will update when I have another major addition/change in the composition.

Once again thanks for the review and support.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 02:17:52 PM »
Update ------ I am still working on the adagio section and ending.

I will post when I have something significant to share for feedback.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Looking forward to the next update!

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 01:05:46 PM »
I am unable to work this week on the composition; however, it is moving along nicely.  I am committed  to a fully comprehensive balanced composition.

I believe you all will be pleased with my progress and growth.

So in a few weeks i may just post the midsection for feedback.

Thanks for the interest in my journey.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 05:02:24 AM »
It's been a while ... so I decided to post the work I have done so far (still not completed) on the mid-section "Adagio".

It is expanded .... this is the bridge to the final section and ending.

I still have not work on the ending per say; however, I do have ideas I want to implement.

So the work goes on.  I am determined to make this a good comprehensive work .....  I am in for the long haul.

Comments appreciated.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:12:01 AM by mjf1947 »

sandalwood

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »
Very cinematic! I believe this will fit nicely with the previously posted sections. I hear convincing dramatic flow and robust orchestration. I like how the muted trumpet contributes very expressively.   Already pleasing to listen to and I look forward to hearing the completed section/work.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »
Very cinematic! I believe this will fit nicely with the previously posted sections. I hear convincing dramatic flow and robust orchestration. I like how the muted trumpet contributes very expressively.   Already pleasing to listen to and I look forward to hearing the completed section/work.

Thanks for the review .... yes I want to paint a picture with the music.  8)

I am making good progress on the ending.  I hope to post it soon.

My timeline is .... to be done with the entire first finished draft sometime in March.

I then will post it in the completed works section.

I must admit this process is giving me much joy!  ;D

Please keep the comments/suggestions/advice/support etc................coming.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 01:58:01 PM »
Mark,

What to say.

So much variety and inventiveness. Marvelous harmonic surprises. At least one lovely elegiac passage.

I have no critiques. When it's finished I'd like to hear it all of a piece.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 06:37:23 AM »
Well well ...... things have moved along a bit faster than anticipated.  :o

So I am presenting the finished "template" of my work.  Please note this is not completed .... but the sum of my ideas.

I need to go over each section ..... and fill in here and there .... tweak ..... edit ........ clean up the engraving etc. 

I have another version with some editing ..... better flow?  not sure....................

But if you listen to the work ... you'll get a pretty good of my overall intent.

Please don't be shy with any critical points as well as what you thinks works well.

Mark

https://app.box.com/s/0cv5a2kxma5ejxys11mxd55jyulbha4v   mp3
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:41:11 AM by mjf1947 »

whitebark

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 02:19:41 PM »
Your piece is coming along nicely!  I enjoyed the colorful orchestration effects and quirky harmonies. I'm looking forward to hearing the refined version.

Jay

whitebark

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 06:25:57 PM »
I just gave your piece a careful listen again...and I still find it a lot of fun!  Is your main Vagabond Theme that perky melody that starts at about 1:18?  If so, this really needs to return in some form toward the end of the piece to tie everything together. I really like the soft section with the odd major/minor thing happening at 3:59.

Oh and congrats on getting the performance next year!

Jay

sandalwood

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 05:49:45 AM »
I agree with Jay that this has come out nicely. Also, my previous remark goes for the entire piece as well: it sounds nicely cinematic. Many well-thought and exciting details, intriguing transitions... lots of fun as Jay says. I have some slight query with the opening: it sounds a bit like a transition passage to me rather than an opening statement. The material (in augmentation etc) might be referring to somewhere else in the work  or not or maybe there is something else I'm missing but that's how I presently hear it.

All in all, I think that's very nice, Mark. I look forward to seeing how you complete it.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 05:54:52 AM »
I just gave your piece a careful listen again...and I still find it a lot of fun!  Is your main Vagabond Theme that perky melody that starts at about 1:18?  If so, this really needs to return in some form toward the end of the piece to tie everything together. I really like the soft section with the odd major/minor thing happening at 3:59.

Oh and congrats on getting the performance next year!

Jay

As always thanks for the feedback!  The main theme is the March which does come back at the end of the work.  The opening segment is more of a"mood" setting pointing to the awakening of the Vagabonds in the early morning.  Initially I thought I would end the work with that idea/theme with the Vagabonds falling back to sleep at the end of the day; however, the consensus/feedback I heard from many - was for a BIG ending .... so that's the direction I followed.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 08:08:46 PM »
Ah yes, I thought the perky theme at 1:18 was the main one. It is attention getting...

Here is the structure I hear:
0:00 intro
0:39 Main Theme A(soft rising motive)
1:18 perky second theme B
2:08 waltz interlude
2:54 perky theme B again
3:14 Main theme reoccurs A
3:58 gentle interlude with alternating major/minor chords
4:34 Main theme variation A
5:30 Main theme restated firmly A
6:09 Coda

That attention-getting second theme B does seem to get dropped early on in the piece. Perhaps reintroduce it in some manner near the end of the piece add a bit of closure.

Jay