Author Topic: Second Classical Symphony  (Read 924 times)

whitebark

Second Classical Symphony
« on: January 13, 2020, 04:17:21 PM »
Most people on this forum have heard my first Classical Symphony. But I actually wrote a second one around 2015. More so than the first, this piece is backward looking and relentlessly "common practice." But it has a lot of vitality and nice musical moments, so I thought I would introduce it here.  With its four movements totaling 32 minutes , this is the longest piece I have ever written. And its length (among other things) assures that it will never be performed  :).  I wasn't sure that this piece even is suitable for this forum, but it is a slow period, so here goes....

This piece is written for a standard classical orchestra. The energetic first movement follows the usual sonata form.  The calm second movement is a theme and variations. The third movement is a minuet, adapted from an old piece I wrote  around 1995.  The lively final movement also follows the sonata form, and with all the repetition of themes, it also has a rondo-like feel.

The score is still in a bit of a mess, so comments on technical issues is probably pointless until I get around to fixing them.   

Sit back and enjoy this huge mp3 recording (created by Noteperformer)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhu83e0zu5nfrzn/Symphony%20%232%20complete.mp3?dl=0

Score:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8ak7byf46fvan0/Symphony%20%232%20mvt1%20v4.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/988d6utihzu5891/Symphony%20%232%20mvt2%20V3.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ua4utl10476zf1x/Symphony%20%232%20mvt3%20v4.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuauf9oylfphd4v/Symphony%20%232%20mvt4%20v3.pdf?dl=0

-Jay

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:19:50 PM by whitebark »

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Second Classical Symphony
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:17:37 AM »
Jay ... just listened to movement 1 ..... lot's of fun ... with s very nice development.  Very CLASSICAL in feel with a touch of "Russki".

And of course the work is suitable for this forum ..... bring it on~!

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »
Thanks for posting this work, Jay. I think there is much invention and craft in it and I enjoyed listening to it. I had the general impression that this one looks back more than your other Classical Symphony did. Also, I think this one also makes greater use of motives as building blocks rather than memorable melodies, comparatively, if my memory does not mislead me about the other one. My favorites are the outer movements (though I don't usually get along very well with fast mvts with their mostly loud and nervous ways, I can nonetheless be very much impressed by some of them :))

Reha
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:09:27 PM by sandalwood »

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »
Thanks for your comments, Mark and Reha. I think my motivation in writing this symphony in a large part was  simply to practice tonal harmony and orchestration in the context of a large-scale work.  But I had a great time creating the symphony, too.  Since the piece was a bit of an exercise, I'm not sure how much more to work on it. I'll probably correct score and orchestration problems, and perhaps make changes to reduce repetitiveness. I think I may have indulged in a bit too much "cut and paste" composing.

Jay

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:07:15 PM »
Jay,

This piece, like your later one, is full of wit as well as harmonic and textural sophistication. The interplay among the instruments is so good!

The slow movement, however, does suffer from too much repetition. I get the idea of building on the simple figure, making it more dense as it continues, a la Bolero, but it doesn't quite achieve that.

Nevertheless, your high level of invention and craft never ceases to impress me.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

whitebark

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments, Jer. I do plan on modifying the second movement, possible removing one variation to reduce the repetitiveness that you noted.

J

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 08:07:30 AM »
Jay,

I just listened to the 2nd movement .... quite sentimental in mood and very classical in style.

I thought about Jer's comment about sameness .... repetition; though I do feel a different  or contrasting counterpoint/section would add a bit of more texture and interest, overall I found the section to be in the context of the style and quite pleasant.

A bit more work would really make it shine.  :angel:

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 10:31:50 AM »
Thanks for listening, Mark. I'm going to work on the second movement sooner or later...

J

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 08:35:22 AM »
Jay .... just listened to the 3rd movement - a nice jolly ride ... A bit more harmonically interesting ... it is a classical minuet in style; however, it feels quite modern ..... post classical -  more in kind to the later 20th century composers ... with more interesting harmonies and rhythms. It also has a bit of the late romantic in it .....

Once again very nice development of the thematic material.  Very enjoyable indeed with an optimistic bent.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »
Glad you liked my Minuet, Mark. I composed the music at a different time than the other movements, and that shows up in the harmonies used in the piece. I'm not planning to make many changes to this movement, other than changes to the orchestration.

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »
Jay I just listened to the last movement.  Lots of energy here.

The thematic is interesting; however, though there is sharing of the material among the various sections of the orchestra, ... I think more substantial variations on the theme would enhance the movement both rhythmically and thematically.

My favorite movement still is the Minuet.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 11:35:52 AM »
Agreed, this movement could use more variation in the recurring sections.  I'll get to it eventually....

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
I finally got around to listening to this.  A well crafted work.    As with others, I particularly liked the 3rd movement - probably because it feels more neoclassical than classical.  To me, the harmonic feel is that you are playing with classical feeling rather than reproducing it.  I like!

The first movement was fun - full of playful energy.  Great fun.  The opening few bars reminded me of Bruckner's Overture in G Minor, but you quickly enter a very different world - a much brighter and less serious one.  As others have said, it has an interesting Russian feeling.

I found the 2nd movement the least convincing of the 4.  It just didn't draw me in. 

I thought the last movement did not have enough harmonic movement and thematic variation.  I assume you were writing a passacaglia so were intentionally limiting yourself harmonically.  I'm no judge; you probably did that well.

whitebark

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
Thanks for your comment, Patrick.  I'm revising all the movements...stay tuned!

whitebark

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 05:47:23 PM »
Thanks to all the commenters on this piece. I'm moving this work to the Junior completed section, so add your comments there from now on.

Jay