Author Topic: Regarding orchestral parts - is it normal for each booklet to have a cover?  (Read 319 times)

janx

I am preparing hard copies of score and parts for a rehearsal and wanted to know if each part normally has a 'cover' (front and back - just as the full score does)? I haven't played in an orchestra for many years now so I can't remember what's normal.

I would assume that the parts would benefit in terms of durability if they were protected in this way but that it would, of course, increase costs.

mjf1947

• Administrator
As an orchestra player .... I rarely ...if ever see an orchestra part with a cover. 

Mark

janx

As an orchestra player .... I rarely ...if ever see an orchestra part with a cover. 

Mark

Oh thanks for this Mark. :)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
I've always had a "cover" of sorts on my orchestral parts, but it's been of the same type of paper as the parts themselves.
Also, no colour, just black and white, and the instrument name clearly indicated on the cover page.
I have yet to see professional parts (that is, non-photocopied parts) that do not have a cover page (ie: start immediately with the 1st page of music).
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

janx

I've always had a "cover" of sorts on my orchestral parts, but it's been of the same type of paper as the parts themselves.
Also, no colour, just black and white, and the instrument name clearly indicated on the cover page.
I have yet to see professional parts (that is, non-photocopied parts) that do not have a cover page (ie: start immediately with the 1st page of music).

Thank you Michel - very helpful.