Author Topic: Septet  (Read 1188 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Septet
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »
Are you still working on the coda to the third movement of the Septet?  The ending is a tad abrupt, so adding a slight extension to the ending might make things more satisfying. You could just repeat material in the existing final measure for a one or two more measures (with increasing intensity) before ending with the final strong chord that you have now. The listener will know that things are coming to and end.

In the second movement, I've already noted the long arch-like increase and decrease in intensity that provides structure to the piece.    Marking the climax point with some sort of musical event might tighten things up.

Just some little suggestions...otherwise these two movement are really great!

Jay

EdSharpe

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 11:23:39 PM »

The entire score looks a bit bare - perhaps it could benefit from the addition of expression indications like "Dulce", "Andante Cantibile", "Energico" and such.

Oof.  I dread coming up with indications like that.  I just don't automatically think like that.  OK, the 2nd section of the 1st movement fits "cantabile" - it sort of sings in a slow way.  The rest?  I don't know.  This will be painful. :(

The approach that I have taken to indicate such things is to just simply use English (my native tongue) and not worry about coming up an Italian (or other language) equivalent.  EWS

EdSharpe

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 11:26:57 PM »
I think I would have to say the first movement is actually my favorite.  But I did find the whole piece quiet enjoyable and I can see why the second movement is others favorite movement.  All the best.
EWS

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
After a couple major rewrites of the middle section, I, too, like the 1st movement.  But I think my favorite is the 3rd.

I have a chance of having part of the work - probably just one movement - performed this summer.  If I must pick just one I'll pick the 2nd movement because I think it's the most likely to be performed well.

whitebark

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 10:21:01 AM »
Are the scores and recordings at the top of this thread the latest and greatest?  The development section of the first movement is quite different now - I like the new version.  There seems to be a more definitive ending for the third movement, also.

Jay

sandalwood

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
Pat, performance news is great news and totally deserved! An upfront congratulation from me!

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 01:28:27 PM »
Are the scores and recordings at the top of this thread the latest and greatest?  The development section of the first movement is quite different now - I like the new version.  There seems to be a more definitive ending for the third movement, also.
Latest, yes.  Greatest?  Eh.  Who knows?  In any case, the old versions are in the dustbin and inaccessible.  The material in the development is derived from (and occasionally directly copied from) the old versions, but I rewrote the section.  The feeling is quite different.

Since the last movement is not likely to get a public airing any time soon it will probably get some more tweaks eventually, but I'm putting the whole work aside for now.